General Strategy

Noooooes! I had faith in you!

Did you get vids?
Vids for going 0-2? Hah!

Well, actually, jimmypikachuchoi was tooling around with a camera before the tournament and got about 45 seconds of me vs. a Kilik player on video. I don't know if he's planning to upload the footage or not, though - probably not.

Anyway, try not to have faith in me next time. It's a bad idea.

You need to be more upbeat if you're going to play Mina!

I like 2B a lot as well, even though I usually get it by mistake. 3B, however, has got to be my least used Mina move, at any range. I should probably work on that.

Darago: You have my utmost respect for bringing Mina to tourney. Don't worry about going 0-2 I've seen the competition and you're right... it was pretty tough. Keep on going... we want to see Mina take out Nationals!

Darago: You have my utmost respect for bringing Mina to tourney. Don't worry about going 0-2 I've seen the competition and you're right... it was pretty tough. Keep on going... we want to see Mina take out Nationals!
Wow, thanks. I don't know that I deserve too much respect - I'm not that great, to be honest - but I appreciate the sentiment in full. Judging from how much fun I had with Mi-Na at the tournament, I shall be repping her in any future tournaments as well.

Nah, respect dude. We need more people repping her.

I failed miserably at Jersey regionals. I'm going to Massachusetts Regionals on the 21st but I doubt I'll make top 4 even if I do well. There's just no way at this point that I can compete with their best players and win, even if I give them a tough fight. And it's not her I'm blaming; it's me. I'm not skilled enough yet.

Who's left then to compete in regionals besides me? Kong, are you planning on attending regionals? Where's the closest one to Kansas City? Or will you be using Xianghua instead?

I'm attending the OK regionals on the 14th. As for my character, I'm still a bit undecided but probably be Mina with X as backup.

Anyone here have random whiffing issues with 3A against certain characters? Siegfried, in particular? I have a video with me vs Bibulus where he actually ducks 3A and I flip out. I'll post it much later tonight.

I'm honestly not an avid user of 3A(because I have problems determining the correct range to effectively use it), but that's good to know nonetheless. I'm sure there's still hitbox and whiffing issues which hopefully will be addressed in a future patch(if there is one.) I had some weird crap whiffing on Lizzy during some casuals like a week back, but I can't remember what kept whiffing.

3A is a pretty good move. On CH, it can lead to a tech trap with 4KB. It really bugs me that I can't use it on Siegfried out of fear that it may whiff right through him. It's almost just as bad as 8A+B whiffing on crouching opponents right next to her. This shit is so stupid. And what choice do I have but to accept it? I'm never gonna switch charatcers, so why even bother bitching about it?

I've switched characters more times than I can count with this game already, but I'm sticking with Mi-Na for better or worse.

4KB Catches tech off of CH 3A? Is this all tech? o.O

3A at tip is MUCH safer than normal. Guarantees 66A+B on CH i believe. A bigger combo may be possible, will give that a look see as well. I think it's worth using at range

It connects sorta, but there are a lot of times where part of it whiffs. That lowers the damage considerably, and u go flying in the ear like a tard :)
I still use it though in some situations.

hahahahahahaha, cute.

Hey guys try this record CPU doing a mix of 44A with 1A and 44A delay A. Put the CPU to randomly do the commands, and see how well you block it.

44A is becoming a new favorite antistep for me...unsafe, but the low ender makes them hesitate just enough to make it safe. The range is good, it's mid and nice autoGI/4A setup on HIT lol. On block too, but riskier i guess.

22K is an abusable low once in range.

Yes it does TC a bit, but nothing substantial. 1A TCs a LOT, i'm so tempted to use that move. Gosh if it were only more like -15 or even -16 on block, i would do it so much more. Such a great move.
I've been using WS A a bit myself. It isn't too shabby. Everything seems to do so little damage though...it's a chore.

Hey, I'm new to this forum, and the game, really.

I've played other fighting games before, so I understand basic strategic concepts, but what I'd like to know is, as a prospective Mina player, what should I get down in order to improve? I've read the guides, what I'm looking for is advice from experienced players: What should I use to approach? What's a good move to fish with? To zone with? What's her mixup game like? If there's a throw-mixup element to her approach, what kinds of ticks and baits should I use to get one off? Who are good players to watch in videos? (If you also saw this post in the Amy forums, then yes, I did copy-paste it, as that seemed easier)

Anyway, hopefully I'm not being too annoying with this, and if a moderator thinks it's out of place, I wouldn't object to it being moved. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Hey, I'm new to this forum, and the game, really.

I've played other fighting games before, so I understand basic strategic concepts, but what I'd like to know is, as a prospective Mina player, what should I get down in order to improve? I've read the guides, what I'm looking for is advice from experienced players: What should I use to approach? What's a good move to fish with? To zone with? What's her mixup game like? If there's a throw-mixup element to her approach, what kinds of ticks and baits should I use to get one off? Who are good players to watch in videos? (If you also saw this post in the Amy forums, then yes, I did copy-paste it, as that seemed easier)

Anyway, hopefully I'm not being too annoying with this, and if a moderator thinks it's out of place, I wouldn't object to it being moved. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Correct thread to ask these questions.

To approach, your best bet is pressing foward :p Mina doesn't advance really, but has good dash. 66K series and 66A advances though

What do you mean fish? for CH u mean? 66KKK is the best, try to land on CH as often as possible

To zone, i personally, like 4A, 4B, 22A and 1B stuff. 7K is nice too

Her mixup game is very stituational, depending on range. At close range i'll do 22K, 2K, FC 1KK and throw. At character length away, 2A and 3A+B and at long range 2A+B, 11A, 1A and FC 1B. Keep in mind ALL of these lows are blockable on reflex and all except 22K and 2A are unsafe. 2A is a bit harder to block on reflex due to it's animation.

Personally, i try to land big damage shit, and focus a lot on wakeup and gauge damage. I like to hunt for B+K and whiff punsihment with A+B and landing 66KKK on CH. For wakeup i apply 2A+B, 44B, 2A among other stuff depending on the situation i.e knockdown move

Mina doesn't tick well at all. Hardly has moves that give adv.

Khent is a good mina....one of the better ones i've seen. Page is pretty decent too, but he gets sloppy at times (in tourney vids) :p no offense pagey-mon.

Hah, I would be the first one to say I play terrible in tourneys. Let that be a lesson for all the kiddies: actually practise -- or at least play -- before your tourney, and be sure to get some rest! Also, fuck pads. :/

Anyways, I also use 44A now and then. It's true people aren't quick to punish it yet. I've had absolutely no success with 1A, ever. Either I misjudge the range and it whiffs, or I forget that it doesn't hit grounded and it whiffs. I usually use 11A instead, unless I fuck up the input.

Right now I'm trying to figure out which way I can track rolling opponents with 66/44A+B. It's annoying having to think about which tracks which way all the time. Two other things I worked on last time I was playing were trying to figure out an optimal range or situation to start spamming 4A+B cancels (and who won't GI it every fucking time :|), and when to whiff punish with 66/44A+B. They have a lot more range than I seem to think they have.

I would also mention her back dash, which I think is really quite good, because it is fast and covers a decent distance. After a blocked 44A+B for instance, back dash into 3B will smurf most of your opponent's attempts to respond unless they've really got something with a fair bit of reach. I've also had some success recently using back dash to bait whiffs, which I can then punish.

Page: 1A has deceptive range because of how far forward she steps when she does it. However I do use it, because at tip range it is difficult to punish and the knock down is very useful. It also has TC properties, which I find useful.

Another thing that I need to test is whether 44A+B has evasive properties. I recently played an hour or more or Mina vs Rock and more than once I noticed some of his verticals going through me as I did 44A+B. At the moment I'm not sure if it's just that some of his verticals have crappy tracking or if 44A+B is actually dodging.

Rocks verticals suck, a good Rock won't use them much except for 3B and well placed 66Bs

1A is her best TC in terms of the window i guess. I like it so much but it's just so unsafe. It cuts step completely as well

Back