General Strategy

I usually try to force a block. 44B from that range, 44_66A+B if I'm closer, mix in a few 11As or 2A+Bs to try and stop them from rolling too much. You could maybe try FC1B, too.

If you land BB on tip do the last B for gauge damage. It's hard to shake and GI it.

I find it hard to hit-confirm whether the whole CH BBB is gonna be on tip, and blocked BBB isn't too horrible on block, but it's still not safe.

Damn, I wanted moar easy combos. But yeah, 2A is nice after CH tip BB, since it's safe (-12 or -9 is great shit for a low) and you're at enough of an advantage that they shouldn't step it. I like 11A more for its SG damage, but that's my opinion. If 2A did actual SG damage, though... *swoons

Played online today for the first time in more than a month and had the 1BA glitch happen, only the A looked like a high; it was easily at the height of the B. Very strange.

I was thinking about this, and I haven't really come to a conculsion. Why is 2A+BG good? Up close it would be, causing a mixup between FC1KK and WRB/K, but you shouldn't be using the cancel up close (too slow). So far away, all you have is FC1B really. Can anyone explain to me how they use it?

WR A is one of the few moves that Mina has that covers her right side. When you come across an opponent who knows she's weak there, you might find yourself using this and 9A a lot.
WR A is a great autoGI setup on block.

And while we're on the subject of WR AA, I wouldn't recommend using both As, because the second hit is easily guard impacted if the first is blocked. In fact, even if the first one connects, the second one can be just impacted and I've had this happen to me more than once. I'm not sure if that's possible on counter hit though.

But yeah, if you just use WR A you should be fine. And I'm gonna start trying that out as an Auto-GI setup like Hotnikkelz said.
You can always bait the GI. I would say they're probably better off just guarding it unless you're being that predictable.

WR AA is somewhat fun since the delay between hits is so massive.

On the subject of 2A+BG, There's a certain range you can use it at where pretty much all your options from crouch will reach. If you've managed to make them freeze up and block low, they've pretty much got nowhere to go since you can cover all their options from that position. Some might be able to react to the cancel animation and try to interrupt you once they see it. That's the main thing you need to watch out for.

Some might be able to react to the cancel animation and try to interrupt you once they see it. That's the main thing you need to watch out for.

That's why all her autoGIs can be done from crouch, as well as 4A! ;) hehe. Good stuff.

It annoys me to no end that in casuals and training my Mina constantly gets destroyed while my Rock does just fine, but during every tourney my Mina takes names while everyone escapes 85% of my Rock's ground throws and he gets destroyed. I've been trying to figure out why, and I think it's because during a match with Mina people will give me some space and let me do my thing, but during casuals I just get bumrushed. Le sigh.

SC3 Mina was incredible and was by far my most loved character, anyway no time to reminisce, she can work if we understand her better ;)
The disparity between low tier and high tier isn't as huge as it was so it's all good. Keep practicing up, and get the basics down...which is where i think most people suffer.

also...Rock > SC4

I really wanted to get some 4A+B stuff in, after watching some of those Korean Mina vids. Not happening; it's being consistently GI'd on the last hit. :/

iWRA is really godamn useful. That, and mixing in some 1BKs. I've been having trouble stopping step lately, and I think this will go a long way.

4A+B stuff is much more likely to land when you whiff the 4A+B and people think they can punish you for it and get CH'd for their trouble. Lol.

A+K and 8A+B are also fantastic step killers. One is a TC and the other a TJ.

...and both hella unsafe =) but who cares right

22A, 8A+B, 9A, A+B and 22K (at close range) and 66A are my usual step killers.

I love me some 22A

Madison Regionals were yesterday, and, though I went 0-2 (oh my God, the competition was stiff!) I felt as though I learned an awful lot about Mi-Na. Here are some of my thoughts.

- 4B+K is, without a doubt, her best aGI. The move GIs more stuff than her other two and leads to strong oki options. I'm sure you all knew this already, though.
- 9B+K can be a great opener against overly eager opponents, since it leads to knockdown and gets you in a good spot for oki.
- 2B is such a good poke.
- Nobody seems to expect a running 3B. I landed the move with surprising consistency.
- If the opponent starts to block 8B+K when you try to tech trap with it - and they do eventually figure it out if you abuse it - and you've conditioned them to block all three hits, stopping after one or two makes for a great tickthrow setup.

Above all, I learned that Mi-Na is entirely workable. She's not spectacular, but careful playing can garner wins. If I had one wish for 1.04, if and when it drops, I'd like her CF game to be even better than it already is. Namco clearly tried to focus her playstyle on CFs; now, they need to finish the job and make her the best in the game at them. I wouldn't mind her being a little safer, either, or having 66_44A+B track to the left in addition to what they already do.

Back