Hdtvs Vs Crts For Tournaments

So, it it true that sometimes using a VGA connection can reduce lag on an HDTV?

I bought a cheap ass TCL tv on black friday. Through component/hdmi, I can really feel the lag.

I then hooked my 360 through VGA and it feels way better. I can actually do the links in SSF4.

Mind you, this tv doesn't have the best picture quality, and there is some ghosting problems.

I still do all my gaming on my 720 panny plasma. It feels good to me, or I am used to it.

If I understand it right VGA is analog (and in Japan we have a D connector which is analog too) while HDMI is digital. Since the TV/monitor has to convert the digital signal it creates lag.

At our game meets (TGNs) they use VGA to connect all the 360s to the monitors.

Doesn't your TV have game mode?

It doesn't, just a bunch of picture settings presets (vibrant, eco, sports, etc).

Does anybody know if going into the service menus of tvs and messing around with those options can help with lag? Or is everything in there just picture settings?

So, Iplaywinner posted their monitor choice
"Looking for the best gaming monitor? Check out the ASUS VH236H EVO Monitor. - http://amzn.to/hbu0ir

If you pick up that ASUS Monitor KEEP THE BOX. It's great for storage and bringing it to tournies and sessions w/o it getting all banged up"

Anybody have experience with them?
Someone's review:
Bang for buck ratio is gdlk. Must have for fighting game enthusiasts!, October 7, 2009

By​
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: ASUS VH236H 23 Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black (Electronics)
Tired of input lag? Tired of missing chains, 1-frame links or just combos in general? Then complete your SFIV setup by investing in this monitor, affectionately referred to as "The EVO Monitor."

- Excellent price. Naturally.
- No lag.
- Beautiful picture.
- Built-in speakers. They're kind of sucky sucky but considering you'll be sitting no more than 4 ft away from the monitor it will suffice but external speakers can be used.
- HDMI support
- Perfect for gaming
- A perfect blend of portability and screen size. SFIV virtually anywhere!!!

The only reason you shouldn't buy this is if you already own one, already have a killer set-up or you like lag."

There's many reviewers talking about how good it is for fighting games and sfiv.

Might be beautiful pic but I think it's not HD- EDIT oh it is HD- sounds nice!

Ya wished I had kept the box for my monitor, good to carry them around in.

EDIT2
That 2ms is response time (GtoG means Grey to Grey), not input lag.
Faster than my LG (mine's 3ms)- EDIT I was mistaken my 'old' version is also 2ms GtoG!
Better contrast too- 100,000:1 while mine's 70,000:1.
Good buy!

It's the monitor used at EVO, so must be quite good. I am looking at a 27" LED monitor, since I got this 32" LED TV by Insignia; unfortunately, the menus popped up by themselves. Exchanged it at the store, same thing. I am returning it. Pity, I thought the image was quite good.

You see, the thing we need to get straight is and I'm going to use caps to get my point across:

WE NEED TO PICK ONE TV FOR THE TOURNEY STANDARD.

A TV THAT IS AFFORDABLE SO THAT EVERY SERIOUS COMPETITOR CAN GO OUT AND BUY ONE ON THEIR OWN TO USE TO PRACTICE ON AT HOME AND TAKE WITH THEM TO USE AT TOURNEYS.

A TV THAT HAS THE MOST MINIMAL INPUT LAG POSSIBLE WITHOUT EMPTYING YOUR WALLET.

A TV THAT ISN'T TOO BIG OR SMALL SO THAT TRAVELING WITH IT WILL BE A PROBLEM.

THAT WAY EVERYONE IS USE TO THE TV'S BEING USED AT MAJORS, AND THERE WON'T BE ANY ISSUES.

Evo is so organized that they've already done this. You know ahead of time what TV you'll be playing on. They are reasonably priced too. Why don't we just use the TV's they use?

Unless you can find a cheaper good monitor I'd say that ASUS VH236H is good ($184.99).
Use the D-sub (or a HD analog) input and it will reduce the input lag (less lag than a digital input).
23" wide is a nice size, not too hard to carry and not too small for tourneys.

Thing is for a pretty good monitor (with good spec) you're gonna have to shell out some dough.
How much is Jaxel's monitor?

Looks like the/my LG W2363D-PF is $359 on US Amazon.

Jaxel's NEC EZ231WMi is $289.99 at US Amazon.

EDIT
Says response time is 14ms though...
But Jaxel (and the report he linked to) said the input lag is supposed to be low.
'Only' a 3,000:1 contrast ratio and 270 cd/m2 brightness.

EDIT2
Oh, didn't see the part about the EVO CRTs- what are they usin?
I think the future is LCD with HD- lighter, takes less room, higher res picture and takes less electricity.
Think you can't even buy CRTs in Japan any more (we are goin to full digital TV in the Summer next year).

EDIT3
Sorry, now see that the ASUS is what they use at EVO- prob solved, go for it.

#'s/specs ain't everything...

So, it it true that sometimes using a VGA connection can reduce lag on an HDTV?

I bought a cheap ass TCL tv on black friday. Through component/hdmi, I can really feel the lag.

I then hooked my 360 through VGA and it feels way better. I can actually do the links in SSF4.

Mind you, this tv doesn't have the best picture quality, and there is some ghosting problems.

I still do all my gaming on my 720 panny plasma. It feels good to me, or I am used to it.

On a PC input (VGA) they usually disable much of the crazy image processing they do to it. Because if they don't you can't read most fonts if you try to use your HDTV as a PC monitor. They wouldn't want that now would they? Luckily for us this often helps the lag problem a lot.

Funny how game mode on most TVs doesn't disable all the processing. Run a PC on HDMI with Game Mode on and then through VGA. A lot of the time fonts are barely readable on HDMI and perfectly fine on VGA. Go figure. I mean supposedly the advantage of HDMI is that the image is pristine all the time. Which would be true if they didn't process the shit out of the signal and not give you the option to turn it off.

Heard about this monitor over on SRK: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...ynoteSearch&baynote_bnrank=9&baynote_irrank=0

monitor-aw2210-hero.jpg

http://shoryuken.com/blogs/cicada/input-lag-test-alienware-optx-aw-2210-21-5-672/
"Linked, so it doesnt break the forum -- LARGE pics:

http://i47.tinypic.com/2ytr1c8.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/2822e89.jpg

no lag, and in fact, faster than the CRT over DVI.

over HDMI, MAX lag seemed to be about 10ms. keep in mind the max readings i got on the asus monitor were around 45ms -- weighted avg of that monitor, though, is at 8-9ms. an average of 10ms is about the threshold when very sensitive people start noticing lag. Given the alienware lags 10ms MAX, it's it's even better than the asus.

The downside is that it's a bit smaller and pricier; but it has 2 HDMI inputs, 3,5mm audio out [and in, i believe] and it's just beautiful overall."

Apparently these are being used at the next EVO.

International voltage.
Contrast ratio (80,000:1) is >my LG (70,000:1) but <Asus (100,000:1).
Did better on the lag tests.
Wish they would test my LG!

A little smaller and expensive but specs look good to me.

Back