Cervy match vids Comment & Critique

I feel that 3A+B gives you better wake up after WSA. It suites the way I like to play cervantes. Also they may be able to just hold back and slide away from aK on hit. I know that can be done against 4BK but I never got around to test it against aK on hit.

I'm trying to go to socal sometime next month (which is where you are, right?), so we'll have to compare notes if that occurs. I'd like to see what you're using and then arrogantly dismiss...er...debate it.

lol yea itll be nice to compare notes. We play very similar from what ive seen of your vids.

I feel that 3A+B gives you better wake up after WSA. It suites the way I like to play cervantes. Also they may be able to just hold back and slide away from aK on hit. I know that can be done against 4BK but I never got around to test it against aK on hit.

That's also a good option, however I'm still looking for something that does good damage on people that sideroll. Then again they haven't figured out that you can jump away from the mixups after aK yet, so I'll keep it in mind.

Only match of me that got taped from the last Jersey tourney. Lot of missed inputs, but I've picked up on another bad habit of mine, want to see if you guys can identify it.

KowTow, this vid makes it seem that you can't block lows for shit.

Bunch of mistakes, big one vs Amy was using 2a instead of WS A after eating her 1a. The 2a doesn't interrupt 6b. NO tech crouch, lol. He figured out the b2 shenanigans pretty quickly too, and I did a poor job of mixing up when he did. Toronto probably has the most solid players I've played in this game to date, though.

[youtube=Spman VS Draco]6Yy0e2_PU_U[/youtube]

[youtube=Spman VS calijared]9rbbcpnKJpc[/youtube]

[youtube=Spman VS signia]oX02t-zgv4w[/youtube]

[youtube=Spman VS dr tom]u8528ZOEU6w[/youtube]

[youtube=Spman VS viscious]IIhy1_P6y4U[/youtube]

[youtube=Spman VS king salmon]_x53QpDnUAA[/youtube]

tell me how much i suck. GO

Just watched the Mi-na vid for now, since it's the one I can best comment on. Your main issue was eating Mi-na's FC 1KK and 1BA. Once you're aware of those moves, they're both pretty easy to see coming. FC1KK is -22 on block (And -20 if she stops on the first hit, which which I believe Draco never did), while 1BA is -16 (And -9 on any kind of hit). Also, you should be able to punish her 6BB on block with aB, assuming you're in range (And Draco did use it in close quarters, which is a bit of a no-no). Also, this is just theory, but I'd imagine bK gives Mi-na a hell of a time if used properly. It beats all of her lows, closes distance well, and is neutral on block, which leaves Cervy with a lot more options than Mi-na. This all doesn't matter too much, though, since you're pretty damn unlikely to fight a lot of Mi-na players in tourneys.

Just watched the Mi-na vid for now, since it's the one I can best comment on. Your main issue was eating Mi-na's FC 1KK and 1BA. Once you're aware of those moves, they're both pretty easy to see coming. FC1KK is -22 on block (And -20 if she stops on the first hit, which which I believe Draco never did), while 1BA is -16 (And -9 on any kind of hit). Also, you should be able to punish her 6BB on block with aB, assuming you're in range (And Draco did use it in close quarters, which is a bit of a no-no). Also, this is just theory, but I'd imagine bK gives Mi-na a hell of a time if used properly. It beats all of her lows, closes distance well, and is neutral on block, which leaves Cervy with a lot more options than Mi-na. This all doesn't matter too much, though, since you're pretty damn unlikely to fight a lot of Mi-na players in tourneys.

Yea I didn't know any of that stuff. First time playing against mina ever ^_^

Being able to do that FC guard crush should help you if you ever come across a Sophie that punishes Cervy as hard as she can. 66b, WS A, 2a+b (only she can do this) etc etc. Aside from that I'd say save it more for the ring edge and walls, when you can actually get hits out of it.

Less 1A, more 1K. If you vary your timing and mix in other crouching attacks, nobody is going to see 1K on reaction. 1A, can't say the same. But I guess if they're not blocking it, hey.

I just watched for the moment the first video.
I dont understand your usage of iTP, you're doing it to approach the opponent which is quite dangerous normally if he reacts. About iTP at 4:31, delicious :D but you missed the CH erf.

WS A~4AA without a hit wall is disadvantageous. If he attacks after the last A, you're getting hit (if you continue an attack). I prefer use 4BK which let me back-turned with more possibilities. Or simply 3A+B. Or you can try to mix middle or low attack just after WSA but IMO, 4AA is not appropriate if there is no wall.

You forgot free damages after 4B+K at the end with a 2B+K or iGDR as a tech trap.

Watching the others, brb :o

Nice stepping against asta. The double 22B is guaranted or he just get surprised and didn't wake up ?.
Never attack at the wake up against asta, it's lethal ! FC A+BB <3
Nice 2B+K tech traps after 3B or 22B and without 8A+K. I'll use it I think =)

Overall, your opponents don't know well cervantes, no ? They missed so much free damage :o except the lizard :) GG

Being able to do that FC guard crush should help you if you ever come across a Sophie that punishes Cervy as hard as she can. 66b, WS A, 2a+b (only she can do this) etc etc. Aside from that I'd say save it more for the ring edge and walls, when you can actually get hits out of it.

Less 1A, more 1K. If you vary your timing and mix in other crouching attacks, nobody is going to see 1K on reaction. 1A, can't say the same. But I guess if they're not blocking it, hey.

Why do you say save the FC A+BBB for only when you get free hits? I, personally, do not agree with that statement. Can you explain further?

@ Iki: Yes I have a bad habit of doing 4KK when I am not near a wall, I need to fix that. The double 22B is not guaranteed. You can get up and block it.

@Spman

ive watched every Vid except the mina one, but im not going to comment the vids too much, cause i think your opponents need more help than you do (Did that first Sophie EVER punish with 236B ? ) :)

You played very well in general, the Lizzy Matchup was not perfect, he poked a lot on disadvantage AA into 2A for example, dont let them poke you to death, go for 2A+B ch fishing or use more pokes yourself. But this is exactly the main Problem Cervy has, when people start to interrupt all his negative stuff and poor Frames, you gotta work much harder.

For the FC A+BBB issue:

- i really do advise to use it even in the middle of the stage. If they random crouch to avoid Throws, FC A+BBB is just way to damaging and will teach them not to do so, thats when you got all the options to iCT them. You could go for 11AA, iTP etc etc. If they are clever, they wont attack on -13, even if they are far away. Cervantes has some long Range Moves. iCT can be even done much faster than you did, even out of running. You used it pretty well, but there is some space to improve. There were a lot of moments when i was like "iCT HIM!!!" :)

- I think in the Asta Match you once had him at the Wall and i was expecting a FC A+BBBB, but you didnt do it. You should really watch out for those moments, its free Damage + Momentum. Instead of doing WS A into Throw on a Edge, you could also Mixup WS A into iFC A+BBB etc etc...dont forget you can perfectly buffer the instant Command Throw into the Guard Break, go for another FC A+BBB or just take the AA or aB Slide.

-You hardly use 11AA Mixups, i think you did 11A into Throw once and it worked well. You can try to mix it up more. i didnt had the feeling your opponents were familiar with Cervy (except the Lizzy). 11A~3A+B. 11A~Throw. 11AA~3A+B when you ch them etc etc. Way better than 1A imo. It has Tech Crouch Frames, it covers Step, its a lot of Damage on ch, good wakeup, and used from far range pretty safe for SC4 conditions (Asta cant get a 6K on far Range)
Bear in mind, 11AB is just -3 on Block, you can try to ch them with 2A+B or be risky for a iGDR and when they start tu use fast pokes go for 44B or even 44A+B (no joke). Btw i liked your use of the 44B retreat step.

So my advice, try to use more Mixups, maybe implement b2 in your game, not for the Damage, but for the Frames. But in general i enjoyed watching, nice cervantes.

@docvizzo

Yes most of my opponents did not know cervantes that well. The problem in that lizardman fight is the person i was fighting likes to GI ALOT so I got in a habit of not attacking him when he's at - because he usually GIs. I need to rethink my strategy against him in tournament play because in casual he takes more risks (in GIing) and I haven't been able to adapt. I've been starting to us B2 a lot more recently and 11AA/B more as well. and Yes I need to do more iTC A LOT more. Thank you for the advice!

I'm sorry, but there's not enough room on this message board for me to tell you how much you suck. I will say this though, you suck it long...and you suck it hard.

Eeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhh!

no seriously, you're pretty good

at sucking. Eh eh eeeeeeeehhhhhh~TRIPPLE EH'Z...ALL DAY DUN SON...ALL DAY!

Why do you say save the FC A+BBB for only when you get free hits? I, personally, do not agree with that statement. Can you explain further?

Because of how much space it creates between you two, and not space in a situation where they'll be trying to do something. They'll just be guarding, and Cervy's mixups against defensive players from that range aren't the best. From that mid range he excels at punishing whiffs and people trying to close the gap, not people that stand there and guard.

Hates touched on this the last time we had this debate, if he's in the opponent's shoes he'll stand there and guard FC A+B:mash all day in the middle of the ring. Also it's slow enough compared to the throw's speed where if the timing is not varied, a simple twitch duck will take care of both options.

Again I'm not the only one who's said this, I'm not trying to attack anyone at this point.

Of course i would do the same against a Cervyplayer. Just stand there and block FC A+BBB all day, and of course dont try to attack at -13.

Cervys 11A has enough Range, but can be blocked with some Training. Its not the best Mixup, but mixing up 11AA with 66B or Running towards him to Throw are some options after FC A+BBB.

But if you mixup Twitchduck into FC A+BBBB and instant Command Throw, its a pretty nice mixup for itself, even in the middle of the stage. People who constantly duck Throws will stay up cause FC A+BBB is massive Damage, but that opens all ways to set up instant Command Throw.

Of course if they can see the difference after the twitchduck, you gotta try something else. But the first Frames really look similar.

Btw FC A+BBB can be used to punish an opponent after you ducked a throw. Pretty nasty. Way better than standing up and try to regrab :)

There are a couple of times where you iGDR and hit with either 22B or 88B and just finish off with 2B+K. When you iGDR from the left use 22B (otherwise use 88B if from the right) so you can follow up with 8A+k then finish off with 2B+K. Astaroth I think you can shoot him twice with 8A+K.

Notice in these vids he tripped Seung Mina and Sophitia with 1A and used WS B B as a follow-up. The first B connects but the second whiffs. However, when it came to Lizardman and Astaroth both of them connect.

Hey guyz, itz been a long while since I haven't shown any vids of my Cervy.

Right now I've got two part vid of my Cervy against a Mina player in a casual match.

Back