Cervy match vids Comment & Critique

Lol, match against Algol was hilarious and awesome. At long range, you shoulda' waited for Algol to shoot first, the shoot. But then again, minor detail. Wow. Learnt alot from watching. Thanks.

If you shoot after his shot, he's able to duck, sidestep or teleport behind you while you recover from the shot.

Overall Kowtow it seems you play the SC4 version of Cervy much better than the SC3 version of Cervy. You followed BH8's good wake-up combo game (3b 8A+K 3A+B). I noticed you did iGDR 4A+K 2K is that a bigger damage than iGDR 22_88B 8A+K iGDR 28B at close range (which is 56-57dmg). Later in your vids you did a lot of 323B+G buffering which is awesome.

There's something I want to point out. After hitting an opponent with WS A why don't you do 4BK instead of 4KK. 4BK hits the opponent and leaves your back turned so you can do mix up games. I find you can BT B+K with a 66B/iGDR follow-up or a low kick with a WS B follow-up. The only time appropriate for doing 4KK after WS A is when the opponent is near a wall.

The 4A+K~1K Combo does 59 Damage. Since im very comfortable with iGDR in Combos, i also do the 22B etcetc cause there is always the chance to get more Damage if they tech.

I also mix up 4KK with 4BK and especially aK which gives the most advantage and makes BT B+K uninterruptable.

For the 4KK, i like the space it gives and follow with 11AB or 11AA or 11A into something else when they are not 100 % comfortable with blocking 11AA, From that Range its not that punishable and almost spammable imo, cause you can end it just after 11A, fishing for Step Counterhit 11AAs for about 70 Damage etcetc. Risk/Reward is more than ok for this Move. Since everything is unsafe in SC4, you gotta make some choices.

But if you go for the BT Mixup, i would prefer aK instead of 4BK.

The 4A+K~1K Combo does 59 Damage. Since im very comfortable with iGDR in Combos, i also do the 22B etcetc cause there is always the chance to get more Damage if they tech.
Is that the best damage for the iGDR setup in close range?

But if you go for the BT Mixup, i would prefer aK instead of 4BK.
Does this also regard other situations when the person is not hit by WS A?

NEwayz do you know any opponent that does attacks that can be punishable by Cervy's aK?

Cervys aK is i15, so you could punish a lot of Moves. Its also gives +5 Frames on Hit, which is the best he has, an makes the BT B+K Uninterruptable,even without WS A.

But honestly in never use this as a Punisher since iGDR is more Damage and the same Speed. Since we cant punish -15 Attacks with IGDR i use aB Slide in most Cases.

But in Theory of course you could punish Moves if you want to force the BT Mixup.

And Yes 59 is the best, but the 1K is JF Ukemiable. But Hard as Hell.

Reason I don't use 4bk after WS A is because often times it will push them out of range of your bt 2k and b+k. Near a wall it keeps them close enough, but 4k,k wallsplats anyway. I was also having trouble with the timing of aK after WS A, kept getting just K. So I stuck with 4k,k which works consistently all the time. The appropriate time to do 4k,k combo after WS A is any time.

I've had iGDR, 4a+K juked out of ONCE. I'm using that shit, lol.

doing aK after WS A is kinda hard. Also aK may give +5 on hit but BT :B::+::K:is not guaranteed after it. BT :B::+::K: is only guarante if aK smacks them agaisnt the wall.

should try WS A ~ 3 A+B ~ 2 B+K or 3B for teching , or if u can do IGDR it will hit too.

I've had the mixup between bt B+K and 2k blocked pretty consistently by our top local players, I'm gonna try fiddling around with some other options, like turning around with 2g to duck quickly into a WS A, or just bare BT throws. Hoping to session with someone this weekend, I'll try it out.

SCIV Hell-bottom(NM) vs Mloots (Cervantes)

alot of mistakes by both sides, we are both a little new to each other, i'll try to post better vids later. plz comments and advices on our noobness :)

WS A, aK isn't that hard to do, and it's well worth it once you learn its proper range. BT throws (particularly BT iFC323B+G) really make the followup tough to spot-block.

That last vid was pretty choppy, I couldn't make too much out. Might try just watching the youtube link later.

Against Nightmare, don't forget that 2a will beat most/all of his GS transitions. It's extremely difficult for NM to win against people with disciplined defense, and knowledge of where he enters his crouch dash.

Hates I'm going to have to start working on aK much more seriously post ws A, my Cervy is lacking something. I'm not sure what yet, so for now I'm just going to have to practice on tightening up my execution.

I know what you mean about the "lacking something" comment--I think those of us in the Calibur community are predisposed to want to find cheesy bullshit. The pirate doesn't really have anything like that per se, and as such evolves a bit more slowly than perhaps other characters. He's way, way solid, however, and I think he has a much higher ceiling than most of the cast. Thus far, honestly, I haven't found any really bad matchups for him, which is promising.

this is a grudge match best 2 out of 3 i lost but w/e (i'm relatively new to cervantes any help is highly appreciated,thanx in advance. btw i'm the turtle)

Hell-bottom vs mloots

Air control is your friend. Well, in this case, your enemy, but you should get out of bad habits anyway. Many of those combos are not guaranteed.

can you specify what combos do you mean please?

iGDR ~ 8A+K ~ 4B, K ~ BT B+K
3B (NH or CH) ~ 8A+K(pending NH or CH)~ 4B, K ~ BT B+K

thats not a combo. u can air control out of those 3 right there. i beleive that what Hates is refering too. once u do 4B you opponent can instantly air control, which will evade all other moves u try to do.

@Kowtow & Hates
i dont find aK to be good after WS A, it turns back yes, but nothing is guaranted cause aK is only +5. i used to do it but i stopped cause everytime i did aK after WS A, my opponent just ready there block.
One of the good use was against the wall, WS A ~ aK ~ BT B+K ~ B,B,B the last B will cause another wall splat and if u start of withother moves and move into this u can do 105 dmg combo with it.
as far as using in the middle of the arena, i dont know, but against the wall yes. NOt sure if it ringsout or not.

Here's why WS A, aK is the juice: it does the same damage, give or take 1 point, as WS A, 4KK, but it also gives you +5 and keeps them right up on you. Mix BT B+K with BT 2K or BT throws and you have some truly nasty options at your disposal.

people can jump away from all options after aK hits. The BT B+K will hit them as they jump but still it limits cervantes' options.

I'll take that extra free damage every time if they jump. Name one better option. =)

edit: that's part of the joy that is WS A, aK. Jumping beats some options, loses to BT B+K. Step beats some options, loses to BT throw, etc etc, so the mixup basically remains intact. You have to edit it a bit for characters like Voldo, Mitsu, and X, but that's a minor detail.

Back