Soul Calibur 4 Tutorial Videos

SCPartisan

Holy Moly
I swear I made a topic about this when I released the first but I guess not...hehe

Anyways, as the title suggests this thread is for all of the tutorial videos that I've made/am making (If anyone else makes them by all means add them here). I figured it's more convenient to have them in one location like this rather than having to look for them in whatever threads I've posted it in.

So yeah.

Partisan's Tutorials:

Tutorial # 1 Notation Guide

Tutorial # 2 Basic Frame Data Guide

Tutorial# 3 Throws

Belial's Tutorials:

VS Amy Tutorial

Kalas' Tutorials:

Anti-Ivy Video - Soul Calibur 4

Great stuf holmes. That should really help those unfamilar with frames. Now you got a tutorial on how to memorize everyones frame data so we can all be perfect players....LOL

HRD:sc2maxi1:

• Admin
Lol thanks. Seriously though I need another topic to cover. I have a mini shake stun tutorial just about finished as well as a move property guide I've planned out.

Help me out yo.

Are you going to make/already have an advanced notation/frame data guide? I knew what most of those things in those tutorial guides were from the start, but i dont know what some other things mean that i see a lot. Like, on the frame guide on the wiki, like SP, NC, NCC, or the numbers in brackets next to TC or TJ. And i know semi-low/high/mid attacks, but i dont know what that means in terms of why they are different than regular H/M/L attacks. And for frames, i dont know why some attacks hit on the same frame sometimes deal damage to both players and other times result it both plays swords clashing and pushing them back.

Just a bunch of advanced stuff like that that i cant find anywhere, that would be a good tutorial for not beginner, but not pro players who know the basics but not a lot of the advanced stuff.

• Admin
Are you going to make/already have an advanced notation/frame data guide? I knew what most of those things in those tutorial guides were from the start, but i dont know what some other things mean that i see a lot. Like, on the frame guide on the wiki, like SP, NC, NCC, or the numbers in brackets next to TC or TJ. And i know semi-low/high/mid attacks, but i dont know what that means in terms of why they are different than regular H/M/L attacks. And for frames, i dont know why some attacks hit on the same frame sometimes deal damage to both players and other times result it both plays swords clashing and pushing them back.

Just a bunch of advanced stuff like that that i cant find anywhere, that would be a good tutorial for not beginner, but not pro players who know the basics but not a lot of the advanced stuff.

I have one already recorded actually but still have to find the time to edit/do the voice over. I'll see if I can make some time to get it done in the next week-ish.

Just to quickly answer his question tho. Special-mid/low means that it can be blocked standing or crouching, but due to hit box the special-low can still be jumped while a special-mid can't unless the move is capable of clearing a mid normally. It also applies to aGi's that apply to lows and mids.

The clash requires both attacks be weapons based and I believe must be slashing attacks (pokes won't 'clang'). Vertical vs. horizontal may be a factor but, I can't remember.

Alright thanks for the info. Take your time with it though, i have a much of film major friends who always do voice over and editing and i know how much of a bitch it is

Edit: and thanks for the info IFB. For some reason i always thought it was semi-mid/low...

I would make a video on the mechanics and then one on basic strategy:

Mechanics:
  • Step vs 8wayrun
  • How Step Guarding works
  • Gi vs 4Gi vs Parry vs JI
  • How to get counter hit
  • Shaking stuns
  • Breaking throws
  • L vs M vs H vs sM vs sL
  • Teching
  • Tech jump/crouch/step moves
  • Explain Soul Gauge damage/healing/different moves do different damage
Strategy:

• Using spacing to make things safe
  • Using push and pull in block and hit to gain better postioning
  • When to block, when to attack
  • Frame traps and soft frame traps (will lose to fastest attacks but beat most others)
  • Good movement theory: stepping and certain moves
  • Explain resets and not finishing combos or block strings to bait
  • Tech traps over guaranteed damage
  • Soul gauge pressure over guaranteed damage
  • Respecting RO options of the opponent through position
A lot to cover, but you can do it in chapters

Thanks for the input IFB. I was talking to Idlemind about this in chat and the list he suggested was(might be incomplete due to me being lazy and forgetting to copy some of it):

1) Basic Notations
2) Advanced Notations
3) Combo System Tutorial (includes defintion of combo)
4) GI/Parry Tutorial
5) Soul Guage/Critical Finish/Soul Crush Tutorial

Including what you suggest leaves...

- Movement (8WR/Step/Step Ging)
- Throws (Command throws/General throw breaking/Early and Late break differences/Crouch Throws/Side Throws)
- Shaking Stuns (Already recorded)
- Teching/Oki (What to do when you are knocked down/Teching vs staying grounded/Just Ukemi/dealing with grounded opponents)

Like I mentioned before I already recorded a video on move properties, which basically covers everything that you might consider for the advanced notations idea.

And as far as strategy videos go, I think I would prefer to do those in a match commentary type video as it would be a good opportunity to show higher level play and teach newer players some important stuff.

Thanks again for the reply, it really helps getting feedback on this as it's difficult to film, edit and voice videos while coming up with tutorial ideas and an accurate script alone. >_>

Good idea. It would be nice to have a tutorial series that focused on prerecorded matches and just stopped and commentated on what's going on, what could've been done better, why things didn't work out, options, etc... and kind of get people into the mentality. Hardest part is getting people past the idea that it's all about combos and blocking. A lot of them never think of spacing, locking out options for the opponent, covering options with specific attacks, ring positioning, soul gauge pressure, weighing the risk vs reward of a gamble (like risking 20 dmg punish but not an RO for more damage at times).

Good stuff. I'll post more ideas as I think of them. Generally just think about what the most ignorant statements towards the game are and clear them up. EX: Grabs are cheap...then make a video on how to stop it and what options there are to prevent it in the first place.

I actually made one a while back...

Kinda winged it but it turned out alright and got the message across.

A good start but much to improve on.

I also had to use online footage due to being unable to travel for a while. I would use other people's matches but I feel I shouldn't make insight on anybodies gameplay unless it's my own. Especially if we are talking about decision making (save for situational stuff like RO throws), no way to know if player "A" did this because of "B".

I should also mention that a lot of this is just practice for SC5's launch. Gotta get good at this now so we can have all this out there early on in the game's life!

Ya I've been tempted to do a few write ups myself but in the back of my mind I'm thinking SC5 might undo all the work. I may get into the video thing as well. But yeah agreeance on you need the person in the fight to give insight for high level. But it may also be a good idea to show the difference between a good and a bad player. Grab some of the communities noted "bad" online battles and you can easily point out clear mistakes beginners make (hide the names of course out of respect tho). I kind of want to record my recent play skill and then compare it to my EVO 09 match vs Hudathan and just go over what I was doing wrong and what I do differently.

But I'm derailing. I liked the above commentary in the video, but I think you should've shown footage that shows how you let it happen, and how to get out of it back to back.

SC5 may indeed make all of this useless, but right now it also might bring in whatever new blood is scattered out there. Kind of a long shot but hey it can't hurt.

I also agree with the "Right way...Wrong way" type examples, those would be really helpful in showing off anything to newcomers. It's simple and to the point, exactly what these types of things should be.

Partisan: Good video. :) I just think that for the skeptics out there who insist that something is cheap, you can show them hard evidence on why exactly it's risky for say, throws to be "spammed".

For example, Siegfried's throw attempts will average out to ~26 damage per attempt if your only defense is guarding and breaking throws. Ducking a throw with nightmare and punishing can result in more damage (WS B into JF bA is like 50 damage, right?). Adding jumping attacks as a defense can neutralize throws while also reducing damage when you fail to predict and opponent's mid attack. Etc etc.

Anyway it's just an idea. Great video, and the most important point you made was that it's your fault if something keeps working on you.

Ya I've been tempted to do a few write ups myself but in the back of my mind I'm thinking SC5 might undo all the work.

I dont think SCV would make it useless really. Even if it does come out a little bit after you make these, the concepts that will be in SCV, like spacing, teching, stepping, etc, will still be in the new game, and thus useful to know. Some tutorials might become outdates, but i feel like a lot of them would still be able to be used for future games.

I could be wrong though...

Ok so I'm just about ready to render the next video (took me long enough) and I figured I would take a screenshot of the timeline in Vegas to give a little insight on the editing process:

sample.png

I should also mention that my PC is like 11 years old and can't deal with HD files properly (as far as playback goes) making the editing a giant laggy pain!

I can relate, I used to even make animations on my old PC, sometimes it took 40min to render 10 sec video in 480p in after effects, it was terrible xD on a side note, Sony Vegas rocks.

I'm expecting this video to take about 10 hours to render, hopefully there aren't any power outages or random shutdowns that occur over night >_>

And yes, Sony Vegas is indeed awesome!

Back