New Character Ideas

Damn, we were talking about this last night. I'd like a black female characters with either two daggers or two scythe-like blades (like Chipp of Guilty Gear).

how does a ball and chain block ? I'm curious how it'll look, because Ivy blocking with her whip-sword during whip state is a total joke and should take extra soul gauge damage. Maxi blocking with the chains of his nunchuk is highly questionable too.

I suppose you could pair a flail/morning star with a big ol' spartan-sized shield to make sense. 2 Weapon combinations may be the future (as shown in hilde's lance spear + short sword combination).

how does a ball and chain block ? I'm curious how it'll look, because Ivy blocking with her whip-sword during whip state is a total joke and should take extra soul gauge damage. Maxi blocking with the chains of his nunchuk is highly questionable too.

how does taki block? or tira? you just have to equip them with some protective kind of gauntlets and there you go. apart from that, i don't think a chainball character is possible because he/she would have to keep them swinging all the time. (this sounds a little suggestive, doesn't it?...)

as i've posted in filthrich's general suggestion thread, i would like to see a character who uses either of these weapons (among others) in SCV:

Iron Fan (unlike the humongous ones from SC3):

Chinese Twin-Hookswords (starting from 2:10):

don't get me started on taki blocking with her tiny wrist guards lol. Anyways, at least tira has a gauntlet holding a big chunk of metal, it'll make more sense than holding taut your whip and magically having attacks bounce off.

And i believe the iron fan was introduced in sc3. Twin hooks is new though.

And: It would be neat if Kilik in Sc5 would have some flex in his kali-yuga, it would look a lot more dynamic

the iron fan dicipline in SC3 was kinda stupid, imo. it was a remix of xianghua's moveset with some whirly whirly action and some hovering... i suppose this could be improved...A LOT. and of course the fan would have to be much smaller (like the courtisan's fan from AC:B).

UPDATE:
OK, i made up my mind. we definitely need this guy, who hasn't made it to any of the earlier installments but has obviously been considered at least:

03.gif

other early characters and concepts from the SC staff can be found in my other thread:
http://www.8wayrun.com/threads/early-se-sc-concept-art.6616/

how does taki block? or tira? you just have to equip them with some protective kind of gauntlets and there you go. apart from that, i don't think a chainball character is possible because he/she would have to keep them swinging all the time. (this sounds a little suggestive, doesn't it?...)

I think it could work. He could be a momentum based character. That is, he starts out holding the ball and chain, but he has some moves that would allow him to transfer into a ball-swinging stance that can't block but is safer and stronger. His stance would need a ton of moves to compensate, and his regular moveset shouldn't be too varied or powerful so that he would have to rely on gaining advantage.

It would kinda be like Zasalamel, but with a stance.

hm. i'm a bit overfed with mere sword style characters. what would be special/unique about a scimitar style that yun-seoung already offers?

well, copying swords doesn't matter to me. as long as they have a discipline separate from the rest of the cast.

At this point it's pretty hard to come up with a new "weapon" for a new character. I'm thinking of all of the medieval weapon styles, and nothing new comes to mind. That's why I was suggesting the iron ball and chain, and BTW this was not done in SC3, I have the game to prove it.

Guraffe: I agree with you, I couldn't care less if they copied a weapon, as long as the style and moves are unique.

Does anyone else miss NECRID from SC2?? I loved him. I realize that bringing back his "character" is impossible (wasn't NECRID from something else that they borrowed?), but what I want is for namco to bring back his style, where most of his moves are borrowed from other characters, while having a few of his own. NECRID's style was truly unique because his weapon morphed into various other weapon shapes. I also miss HUALIN from SC3. She may have been total crap, but she was really fun to play, even funner to master. What was cool about her was the same thing that was cool about NECRID, a weapon that changes size and shape, HOW COOL IS THAT???

Bring back HUALIN, balance her so she can compete with the top, and I will be a happy camper. I think all namco really needs to do, is make a lot of her moves less punishable. That alone would make her way better, because I found her risk/reward to be too low. She doesn't have nearly enough safe moves, and perhaps her damage could be a sliver higher as well. I really liked her B grab for aesthetic reasons, nothing is more satisfying than punching your opponent repeatedly and rapidly. Also I think that if you add stunning effect to some of her moves, would make combos a lot more possible with her. I love using her so much, it just pisses me off that she can't compete with the majority of the cast. If you can beat really tough players with her (I'm talking tournament quality) then you KNOW you are good. She might even be as bad as ROCK, if not worse.

Also, SC3 had a bonus character that had a weapon almost identical to IVY's. (I can't remember off the top of my head who she is). The difference was that this bonus character was like IVY, without the stances, and because of this, was much easier to use. Maybe NAMCO should bring her back for beginning players who like IVY, but want a simpler version that's way easier to use. Beginners ooh and aah over all the flashiness that IVY has in her moves, but reject her as a character to play, because only seasoned veterans should even bother with her.

I was actually disappointed with the changes with MAXI from SC3 to SC4. He has always been a good rookie character (not saying pros shouldn't use him) because you can pretty much mash buttons with him and he goes nuts. In SC4, not so much as before. I think every fighting game needs to have ONE character that can be button mashed. You have to give noobs a character that they don't have to "learn" to play. Remember Eddy Gordo from TEKKEN?? You just spam kick buttons and he goes nuts.

I have talked to countless video gamers about soul calibur, and about fighting games in general. A lot of people say that these games do indeed look like a blast to play, but don't play them because they don't want to take the time to memorize move inputs. In general, SC (the whole series) is not very noob friendly. You have to spend some time in practice mode just learning and memorizing the moves, then you have to spend an even longer time learning WHEN to do said moves. Please keep one character in the roster that you can button mash, it will go a long way towards sales if it's more noob friendly.

Someone suggested a practice mode that actually teaches you useful tactics during a battle. FANTASTIC IDEA!!! SC3 attempted this, but wasn't very good. What better way to make it more noob friendly than to have a mode that teaches them tactics that actually work? Fighting games in general, are only fun when you know what your doing and so does your opponent. If namco really wants to boost sales, this is what they should do. Make it so people who never played any Soul Calibur can pick this game up with ease, and also be somewhat competitive.

In our series of silly ideas, here's one: a Lion Tamer with a chair/stool and whip
lion2.JPG

Second silly idea would be a character using Heavenly sword from the game... Heavenly Sword. For those who don't know, Heavenly Sword is a sword that can transform into a three different forms: single heavy sword, two short knives/swords and two whips (edit. it might've been just a chain with blades on both ends). I guess that'd be too much in the Ivy department.

A morning star user might be nice, but that would probably have to be a armored knight type of character with a shield... or you could make the ball bigger so he'd be more like the witch-king from Return of the King, or make it ridiculously bigger so he'd be like Chang Koehan from KOF.

In one of my more serious posts I already mentioned my wish for a 3-sectional-staff user.

I'd really like to see an old wise man who fights only with different colors/wavelengths of light. It would be at it's best with absolutely killer animations and effects. Maybe even change the state of the atmosphere/weather with his stances?

I'd really like to see an old wise man who fights only with different colors/wavelengths of light. It would be at it's best with absolutely killer animations and effects. Maybe even change the state of the atmosphere/weather with his stances?
I'd like to a see a separate fighting game with characters like this. Unchaining movelists from the limiting concept of attacking with limbs and weapons could allow so many more possibilities. Hitboxes can go anywhere you want and it never has to make sense, and animations can be as long you want. Absolute freedom to design a deep game of spacing, prediction, and execution.

As for styles, I'd like to see a viking with hand axes or a shield + flail or morning star user as previously suggested

I really want to see someone wield a kusarigama, that would be badass. It could be one of the Fu-Ma Ninjas. Other than that I did like the barefist fighting style that SC3 had they could bring that back.

Back