Astaroth's Tech Trap (Discussion)

I've noticed that the crouch grabs can catch some completely off guard as they're rising from a previous move. I'm sure it requires some funny move and timing but I've seen this happen randomly and it does work. Imagine Astaroth being able to trap people while rising. He'll be the most hated character EVAR.

Command throw B 4(B) 2A+G_B+G seems to catch tech.. most of the time... but it's inconsistent.

Yeah I messed around with it a while back, was never able to understand what made it inconsistent. Sometimes you get the crouch grab tech catch, sometimes the full 4{B} hit..

CT = Command throw

CT B>66[K] tech trap>214A (150 damage)
CT B>662/668 K dead trap> 22B (95 damage with meter options)

22K> 2B+G/2A+G tech trap (85 damage 2B+G, 75 damage 2A+G with meter options)
22K>4(B) dead trap (Blockable, but puts you at advantage; catches all rolls for an additional 40 damage., but you’re wide open if opponent techs, mix up with crouch grab tech trap)

CT B>22B BE>A+G W!>3KA W!>BB6> (delay) 214A tech trap (239 damage)

If they opponent doesn’t like to tech after BB6 you can attempt a 44(B), any roll will dodge the attack by a hair but someone unfamiliar with the set up holding guard will stand into it. Might convince them to tech next time.

It should be noted that if you go for CT B>662/668 K dead trap, but the opponent techs into the 22K (unlikely but possible) that counts as a regular 22K hit (not a ground hit) and you can use the above 22K tech/dead traps for another mix up.

^ If 22K hits as a tech trap then doesn't it do the regular non grounder version that 22B won't combo after?

No, if they tech into the 22K the stun is the same as if you hit 22K on a standing opponent. you can test this in training mode by setting the opponent to front tech, then do 63214B+G> 662K (tech trap) and you'll see that 22B wont combo after

Edit: i misread what you said. Yes if they tech into the 22K then 22B wont combo after. What i was saying above is that if they do tech into the 22K you can follow up with 22K's standard hit tech traps/dead traps (the crouch throws and 4(B) i listed a few posts up). 1B+G/1A+G is also a gaurenteed mix up if they tech into the 22K, i just didnt list it since its not a tech trap.

If they do not tech at all and you catch them sleeping with 22K, then 22B will combo

Ok, Im going to post it here because im not sure where to do.
My brother uses Astaroth, and I use Alpha, I lost a lot because of his 66K(BE), especially after knockdown.
I know that I can guard the first and do JG to the second and then double twister, the problem is that he do random 66K(BE) and that lock me down a lot.
If i try to throw, that attack does TC so it misses.
If I do 66B, 33B or B+K it absorbs the damage and i get launched.
If I try to poke with FC 3B:B there is the posibility of he doesn't do the attack and I get sidesteped in the second and get punished.
1B:B is too risky to use, and even if it connects I don't do combo.
1AAA is too slow to use so i get the double hit and lost momentum and get okizeme.
I know I can poke him with 2K or BB but if I do that the damage I deal is a lol
in the end I lose many times because i have to poke with crappy damage while I get thrown and my guard gauge is red, the only times I manage to win is when I'm very agressive, but still, one 66B missplaced and I get 66K (BE) 22B (BE) 66B (or even a wall or ring out).
So any ideas how to deal with it.

Ok, Im going to post it here because im not sure where to do.
My brother uses Astaroth, and I use Alpha, I lost a lot because of his 66K(BE), especially after knockdown.
I know that I can guard the first and do JG to the second and then double twister, the problem is that he do random 66K(BE) and that lock me down a lot.
If i try to throw, that attack does TC so it misses.
If I do 66B, 33B or B+K it absorbs the damage and i get launched.
If I try to poke with FC 3B:B there is the posibility of he doesn't do the attack and I get sidesteped in the second and get punished.
1B:B is too risky to use, and even if it connects I don't do combo.
1AAA is too slow to use so i get the double hit and lost momentum and get okizeme.
I know I can poke him with 2K or BB but if I do that the damage I deal is a lol
in the end I lose many times because i have to poke with crappy damage while I get thrown and my guard gauge is red, the only times I manage to win is when I'm very agressive, but still, one 66B missplaced and I get 66K (BE) 22B (BE) 66B (or even a wall or ring out).
So any ideas how to deal with it.

Given that you are new here...Welcome! However, this is the wrong thread to ask other players about match-ups. Please use the Astaroth match-up thread listed in the SA. Even if you just copy paste what you said here I'll answer your question.

Thank you. (^_^)

I did these on Viola just to be safe.

44A, AB, 662/8K, 662/8B BE, A+G w!, 3KA w!, 66AB, 66K BE tech trap, 2A for 230 dmg. Escapable to either side.

44A, AB, 662/8K, 662/8B BE, A+G w!, 3KA w!, 66AB, 2A+G/B+G tech trap. Catches all directions.
-2B+G = 233 dmg
-2A+G = 217 dmg
-2A+G w!, 1A+G/B+G = 239 dmg
-2A+G w!, 66K BE = 248 dmg

Suffice to say that getting the proper angle for the w! after 2A+G is a pain after all that other stuff.

*Can use 66A(B) after the last w! if the angle is right. If the wall is slightly to Asta's left at all the (B) will wiff due to how they crumple after the 66A after coming off the wall. But as long as the wall is directly behind the opponent or anywhere to Asta's right it should be fine.

Are there any good mix-ups to convince people to tech into a 66[K]? There are places like after CT B or CH 6B, 662/668K where 66[K] is a tech trap and does insane damage but with the charge animation they can usually just see it coming and stay down.

I did these on Viola just to be safe.

44A, AB, 662/8K, 662/8B BE, A+G w!, 3KA w!, 66AB, 66K BE tech trap, 2A for 230 dmg. Escapable to either side.

44A, AB, 662/8K, 662/8B BE, A+G w!, 3KA w!, 66AB, 2A+G/B+G tech trap. Catches all directions.
-2B+G = 233 dmg
-2A+G = 217 dmg
-2A+G w!, 1A+G/B+G = 239 dmg
-2A+G w!, 66K BE = 248 dmg

Suffice to say that getting the proper angle for the w! after 2A+G is a pain after all that other stuff.

Are there any good mix-ups to convince people to tech into a 66[K]? There are places like after CT B or CH 6B, 662/668K where 66[K] is a tech trap and does insane damage but with the charge animation they can usually just see it coming and stay down.

Some pretty interesting stuff. I'm liking to 66K BE one considering that it could possibly grant you a ring out if you are on a specific stage. such as in the corner of the forest stage (can't remember the name).

I find that 66[K] tech traps are more of a character ignorance check then anything. It would be insane if we could land it in any practical way for 150+ damage. Most people will smarten up anyways once they see their health bar fly off the screen. XD

Does 22K BE tech trap after anything other than CT B? I just remembered today that the 22K BE even existed, had written it off early when the game came out due to it using meter and being able to see it a mile away so I forgot about it. However off the CT B it can get really nasty near the wall and was wondering if it worked off anything else. So far I haven't been able to find much else.

Did get a lot of crazy random shenanigan stuff though-

Opponent's back to wall-
66[K] (must have some distance between opponent for this one) w!, CT B, 44K (if you delay slightly it can catch as a tech trap and do extra), 2B+G/2A+G tech trap w!, 1A+G/B+G/66K BE

Opponent in corner-
CT B, A+G w!, 6B, 662/8K, 662/8B BE, A+G w!, 3KA, 66AB tech trap, 2A+G/B+G tech trap
66[K] w!, CT B, A+G w!, 3KA, 66AB tech trap, 2A+G/B+G tech trap

These are just for the hell of it really, not all that practical.

Back