Replacing IRC with javachat.

Dullyanna

[10] Knight
Multiple people were discussing this when Jaxel actually popped and said he's doing it because of the "unknownxxxx" and people who purposely change their usernames to something people don't recognize. The fact is that this isn't a serious issue, and if people blatantly abuse it (There's only a few now at very best) one of the mods, of which at least one is always present, can deal with it by paying attention, or if somebody brings it up to them. The site and chan are small enough that serious competent trolls are rare enough to be a non-issue. The current server issues can be dealt with simply by switching, and multiple users have offered free servers to move to. Furthermore, Javachat uses a horrendous amount of RAM, and people who frequent multiple IRC chans will be all the more inconvenienced by the switch.

For ANYBODY who doesn't know how to use it, regular user or mod, I present you with: http://tinyurl.com/3glvkxq

If that looks like too much time and effort to read and/or if there's something specific you want to learn (Like how to kick, silence, or ignore somebody) then you can use another new and innovative search feature known as ctrl+F.

If any mods have an issue with where this thread is, feel free to move it to tech discussion or w/e you feel is appropriate.

Uhhh no, because IRC is what's currently being used. Jaxel has stated that he wants to return to Javachat, which nobody who understands the differences between the two wants.

We're using IRC because Javachat is incompatible with XenForo. Once it is, we'll be back on it unless there's something I am not aware of.

I just don't see a solid, justifiable reason as to why we SHOULD go back. Yes the server we're currently on has issues but they aren't cripplingly inconvenient, and Javachat had similar problems anyways. If changing servers is an issue of maintaining control, then as I mentioned we can keep this server and it won't be a huge problem.

Account integration.

But I don't see Javachat being compatible with Xenforo no time soon, so relax.

Okay cool, let's dick around and completely forget about this til he implements it for no good reason.

Yes. I will stop idling in chat if it's java.

That means I can't snipe at Idlemind anymore, so nobody will be keeping him in his place.

Everyone loses.

meh im indifferent to this. i liked JC somewhat better, but not for any particular reasons. i never really had problems with either chat, and it doesnt really matter to me what we use, so long as i got a place to speak with other members of the community. im sure there's other people that feel the same way about it too; so this really isnt an issue for some of us at all lol. why not just do what's best for the site? if JC works better for the site use JC. if not, stick to IRC. and if one isnt working how we like it working, we can always just go back to the other later.

The only thing I miss is shock smiley, and that was in flashchat. So herpyderpy.

Also thanks for the irc tutorial, Dully. lol

Back