Raphael : Patch Changes and Discussion

I dunno, I think you guys are analyzing his moveset way too much in a particular paradigm. One that I was a part of until recently... that is, get the round over as fast as possible. Look at Leixia mainers who complained about the CEx2 nerf. It's like everyone wants their character to do as much damage as Cervantes... if this is what you want, play Cervantes. Though I don't mean to lecture or accuse... just trying to get my idea across. Such that, Leixia is very much a GB/lockdown character, and Raph is very much a zoner/lockdown IMO.

When it comes to future patches I just want more Cantarella viability and maybe some earlier frames on his aGIs. Maybe a few extra damage points on certain moves here and there. And that's talking about buffs... there are a few things that could probably be nerfed the more I do research, but I won't name these things ;)

keep in mind you consider raph as low-mid tier character... but not everybody does....

and to make it even more sad...... is that with any games... sometimes they purposely make certain characters worse..... knowing they are not as good to create a more 'flavorful' game....

so to some players creating all characters perfectly balanced might be the most ideal game... but for some others and the developer that might not be their goal

-LAU
considering the monstruosity they did with astaroth (a 50% character that can win with a couple of lucky guesses, instead of skill) i think they just did lot of mistakes with balancing.

Almost any player would like a global reduction in damage and aside danpierre almost nobody likes broken and useless characters.

Sometimes ago in an interview they talked about a japanese way of thinking that was about making strong and weak characters...

the game was not released yet but daishi was submerged by angry tweets about the interview, to the point they had to correct themselves saying they were talking about story.

Also they said many times they would keep the game balanced with patches etc.

That theory is part of an old way of thinking in japanese games....and i think jap VG industry is learning how damaging is to be close-minded.

Recently i heard many players asking to leave raph as it is and nerf all the cast to match with him XD

PrettyLady said:
I am though :(... I do wish talim were in this game.
My condolences.
RT0wn said:
I dunno, I think you guys are analyzing his moveset way too much in a particular paradigm. One that I was a part of until recently...
I think the calls for more damage on certain moves stems from the idea that we cannot have better frames, especially mov-HEY STEAM BUNS OH YEAH!

Fendante has the right mindset. also a quick reminder about prep, w the exception of asta there is no character who can completely shut it down. zone as much as you can, then use prep when they close the distance. at that point its all about reading your opponent. also delay prep k so that its catches step to both sides, ive been having alot of success w this

i usually do gd against asta, i just dont fight em too often. anyway what wish would happen with this bored is to stop crying and maybe work on figuring out how to reliably do prepless A+B. who knows what else he might be able to do. also im gonna try to go to ECT4 and rep raph

Well Raphael players have to prove it to everybody and do well in a big tourney to shut people up.

Which brings up the question: do we have a Raph representative that goes to those tourneys? I don't follow them much (I really should though if I want to get better) so I wouldn't know.

Why are you guys still talking about Astaroth like he's god tier 50% monster..... have you guys even tried playing as Astaroth... honestly.. it's NOT as easy as one might think if you're up against someone that knows anti-astaroth.... most of the time you'll get outspeed and it's not that easy to set those '50/50' against someone that knows what they are doing... and when you do get the opportunity it's not even 50/50....

the fact is.. HE'S NOT.... and if you let him get into the so called 50% situation... which if you REALLY study the game you'll realize it's NEVER 50/50 for him.... unless of course you don't know what throw break is... what range is... and you are ultra predictable on when you're gonna get up ...

and honestly.... like i said.... he's got a few bad match ups i gave my input on how to deal with astaroth as raph... at least part of it...

here's a few more GENERAL vs Astaroth tips.

1) don't get up immediately...... the stuff that REALLY hurts on the ground can be reacted and blocked
2) Anytime you're facing a potential throw mixup mash A or B while holding G.... this automatically makes his illusionary 50/50 become 33/33/33....
3) unless your back is behind the ring/wall edge... crouching/back dashing to avoid the throw and getting hit by the mid is always better than getting thrown.... it takes him forever to kill you if he only relies on mids...
4) near ring edge.... do something like 2A ... even if he does Bullrush BE... he'll ring himself out... unless you die first.
5) If your character is possible..... fighting a range outside of his throw range.... because automatically he doesn't have a fast mixup that you can't react to.

--------------------------

lets get back to Raph....

-LAU

I'm not sure how many of you people watch youtube fighting game videos or if you guys have heard of Maximilian's the online warrior series but this video is worth a watch.

You can skip to about half way through the video and he starts talking about how the next marvel game won't be out for 10 years and etc. but he makes this interesting point.

He says while they probably won't patch certain "broken" aspects of the game like Wesker that half the fun is learning the solution to the problem with what you have.

For some reason this made me think of what it means to play a lower tier character. It reminds me of when you play an action adventure game and you an pick the difficulty at the start.

High Tier- Easy Mode
Mid Tier- Normal Mode
Low Tier- Master Mode

I kinda like the challenge.

Lol come on, its not like raph has been nerferd in every game since 2...

Raph was actually significantly buffed in SC2 from ver. A to console. He also got buffs from SC3 con to SC3 AE.

That aside, people are prolly more upset with the fact that there's always one or more issues that arise from something Raph has that doesn't even work right the way it is supposed to. Example that comes to mind is how 2_8B+K doesn't automatically track steppers properly and can miss on occasion even when Raph "guessed" right. Nothin' beats out guessing your opponent AND giving them a free half life combo because Namco can't even make sure their shit works properly. Perhaps if they took every one that makes stupid ass shirts and shoes in CAS and put them on QC but ...... *le sigh*.

lol is no one else interested about prep A+B outside of prep, id figured the board would concentrate on figuring out that puzzle. yet i feel like myself and a few others are the only ones

i saw that wuht was trying as well, maybe between the 3 of us we can figure it out. also if we r luck maybe we can find a way to do prep 4 w/o prep, that would b so sick

lol is no one else interested about prep A+B outside of prep, id figured the board would concentrate on figuring out that puzzle. yet i feel like myself and a few others are the only ones

I spent almost 45 minutes trying to figure it out for you guys, but to no avail...maybe that's why nobody is talking about it, because we can't reproduce it.

Which brings up the question: do we have a Raph representative that goes to those tourneys? I don't follow them much (I really should though if I want to get better) so I wouldn't know.

I've been repping Raph at every major calibur tournament in the north east and Evo since the beginning of time, cashed at a couple smaller ones and did pretty well at the majors, then 1.02 came out and I haven't played raph outside of trying to find prepless A+B since then...it can't be done, he doesn't have the tools to place in tournaments unless you are just significantly better than your opponent, and even though I'm good, I'm not great. I'm sure I could beat people worse than me, but I that has nothing to do with Raph and his tools. I'm Piggy "the Raph guy", except now, after 10+ years on the tournament scene, I'm playing someone else.

Damn shame.

I spent almost 45 minutes trying to figure it out for you guys, but to no avail...maybe that's why nobody is talking about it, because we can't reproduce it.

well i appreciate it, im sure we will crack it soon. the new thread on it got me excited as well as those new vids popping up. in the end it might not be the best move but getting a new move outta no where cant hurt

well i appreciate it, im sure we will crack it soon. the new thread on it got me excited as well as those new vids popping up. in the end it might not be the best move but getting a new move outta no where cant hurt

I'm pretty sure it's just a glitch that won't be able to be reproduced - par for the course in the soul series.

Back