Option Selects

mkl

[00] Signia's Cheerleader
I never used option select in SF despite being a pretty decent 3S player. During Final Round I heard a lot of people saying that certain players were option selecting things like JG/G or BB/2B etc. I was wondering if we could compile a list (and how to do them) of what option selects are possible. Fuzzy guard is obviously technically an option select, but seeing as that is almost certainly getting patched there isn't any reason to mention it.

According to Jesster this is insight on the "safe JG option select"

Let me see if I can settle this Safe-JG issue once and for all. Say we have 3 players:

Player A always attempts JG with a single tap of G lasting two frames.

Player B has perfected the rhythm of the "Safe-JG" double tap. Every time he attempts a JG, he presses G for two frames, releases for exactly 6 frames, then presses and holds G again.

Player C also uses a "Safe-JG" double tap, but his rhythm is not as good. He always hits the initial G for two frames, but then releases for between 4-6 frames before pressing and holding the second G. For ease of comparison, we'll just assume the average of 5 release frames between his first and second tap for the rest of this example.

Using your example of Natsu's i10 A attack, let's take a look at the all the possible timings to attempt a JG.

If all three players start their JG attempt on F1 or earlier we get the following results:

Player A - Hit
Player B - Block
Player C - Block

If all three players start their JG attempt on F2 we get:

Player A - JG
Player B - Block
Player C - Block

If all three players start their JG attempt on F3 we get:

Player A - JG
Player B - JG
Player C - Block

If all three players start their JG attempt on F4 through F7 we get:

Player A - JG
Player B - JG
Player C - JG

If all three players start their JG attempt on F8 or F9 we get:

Player A - Block
Player B - Block
Player C - Block

Any later than F9, and any of our players are getting hit.

There really isn't an "option select" in this game. Mostly comes from the abuse of the word.

There is a "Safe Guard" where you can have a single G tap, (or double tap) and you'll either Guard or Just Guard.

There is 2G (fuzzy gaurd), but all it means is you are quick ducking without going into crouch animation/vulnerability. You avoid Highs and Throws, but are not ducked long enough to be open to mids.

There is 9B etc, where if you feel a throw/low coming, but don't wanna guess, you jump. This avoids Lows and throws, and if you get hit by a combo mid, it is harder for them to finish their combos. Its like an easy way out without going into a mixup.

These are your "are my bases covered" tactics. Nothing really is an "option select". Thats in the options menu.

Back