Nintendo... Nintendo...

MightyOmega

[10] Knight
If you've been keeping up with gaming news lately, you'll know that Nintendo is repeatedly screwing up for whatever reasons when it comes to consoles and as a company in general, they are fine when it comes to the handheld industry, aside from the 2DS.... What's your take on the Grandfather of games? They apparently need to sell 2 million WiiU's by March 2014 (Which will not happen) in order to hit their 9 million (?) goal. Do you think they should stay in the console race, or should they pull a SEGA and drop out and make games for all other consoles. I personally would love for the Smash series to come to Xbox so I wouldn't need to waste money on a WiiU.

I've heard this story a thousand times. "The Nintendo 64 is doomed! The Gamecube is doomed! The 3DS is doomed! The Wii U is doomed! They should pull a Sega!" Then Smash and Zelda come out and suddenly the sales explode. Yes, Nintendo sucks at business, but they've got some of the most popular -and best selling- IPs in the market: Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid, Smash, Kirby, Mario Kart, the list goes on.

Just take a look at the exclusives scheduled for next year:
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Super Smash Bros.
  • Bayonetta 2
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Xenoblade
  • TWO Zelda games (main series and Hyrule Warriors)
Note that these are just the ones they've announced so far; you can expect several more to be announced at E3 2014. Also note that they just recently released a new 3D Mario, Pikmin 3, Sonic Lost World, Wondeful 101 (a new first party IP), and the Wind Waker remake.

They'll be just fine. The haters can cry all they want, but in the end they know they want the games, which is why they want Nintendo to go third party. Seriously, if you want the games so badly, just buy the system.

There's no way Nintendo will sell 2 million by March. Wii U has been a disaster, you cant even call it a "next generation" console. Nintendo wasted their head start and they cant sell those consoles because they have no games to sell it with. 3rd party support is minimal through their own fault and everything else that people would have bought the Wii U for years ago is coming out 2014. Unless they forgot to check their calendar they should know that everyone else's game are coming in that year too.

They've sold 4.3 million units and those numbers aren't going to improve like Nintendo thinks they will during Christmas. Kids are not lining up to ask Santa for Wii U's, and Super Mario 3D world. They want Xbox One's, PS4's and BF4 and CoD.

Norik, I've literally never heard anyone say anything like this except for the WiiU and a few for the 3ds, and while they might have very popular exclusives, they can't last them forever, especially if they never change anything with them (cough Mario). What I find funny is that they do exactly what Activision does with CoD but they've been doing it longer and they get away with it because they're Nintendo.

And the only exclusives that you listed that aren't recycled beyond belief are Xenoblade, Smash, and Lost world. Bayonetta is a DMC clone, idk what there is to be hyped about besides the blatant fanservice, Wonderful 101 was filled with clunky controls which took away from the gameplay big time, Pikmin 3 brought nothing new to the table, and I don't even think I have to get into why "brand new Mario" or the Wind Waker remake isn't anything to brag about.

The biggest problem with them is that they refuse to adapt, they are stuck in their 90's days. Let's be serious, what is something new that they have brought to the table? The WiiU is using outdate hardware and is still calling itself Next Gen and is still selling for 300... Like I said, they have Mario and LoZ, but just like Activision found out about poor CoD sales, Nintendo will find out that they can't rely only on the Man-Children who still sleep with Mario bedsheets to keep their sales up. They either need to pick it up and bring something new, or just drop out already.

Big Nintendo fanboy here......(my only tattoo is 8 bit mario) .........Nintendo is gonna be just fine. They just laugh at all the negativity while they sit on couches made of money. Hhhhhhhheeeyyad we gooooooooooooo.

It may seem like they are in trouble, but in all truth, they always find a way to stay alive. I grew up playing the SNES and games like Secret of Evermore, Lufia and The Fortress of Doom, Lufia: Rise of the Sinstrals, Final Fantasy III (now VI.), and Mega Man X.
The Wii did have some fun games like Smash, Mario Kart, Wii Sports, etc. But maybe it's the fact that you can still buy all the retro games for the Wii (don't know about the Wii U,) is what is keeping them a float. People do love nostalgia these days.

Well that money won't be there forever if they keep shipping out outdated consoles and repetitive IP's, people are already getting tired of it. It's just a matter of time.

Gaza: The WiiU does have older games for sale, but with emulators present, people wouldn't need to spend 300 bucks on a console when they could just emulate it on their computer or their phone. And most people don't.

Big Nintendo fanboy here......(my only tattoo is 8 bit mario) .........Nintendo is gonna be just fine. They just laugh at all the negativity while they sit on couches made of money. Hhhhhhhheeeyyad we gooooooooooooo.
Those couches are turning into lawn chairs man, and while Omega was aggressive about it he's right. $300 for super outdated hardware, almost no 3rd party support, and the titles that have come out already Wonderful 101 and Pikmin haven't sold well, because hardly anyone own a Wii U. Smash Bros. should definitely sell some Wii U's but how many times can we play Zelda, or Mario before you realize you've been playing the same game for twenty years.

@MightyOmega That is very true. I use an emulator myself, but the one issue I have with the emulator is some of the games aren't probably done up right, so sometimes you can't go as far as you would like to. For instance, I found a game called Bahamut Lagoon (super fun game by the way,) and after the first tutorial battle, it froze on a part where it was about to go into the next chapter.
But I would rather deal with messed up emulators then blow a bunch of money.

No worries. I get a little carried away myself at times so it don't bother me. But I guess we will have to wait and see if Nintendo does sell their quota of Wii U systems. The only thing it really has going for it, is the fact you can play a game on the game pad while someone else does something. That and Smash Bros, Mario Kart, etc

not making games.png

3rd parties: "People only buy Nintendo games on Nintendo systems!"
Nintendo: "Here, use our IP and if your game still doesn't sell you can suck. our. cocks."
Their 9 million goal is ridiculous, but the system will be fine by the end of next year with all the heavy hitters releasing before the holiday season.

Like I said, their only heavy hitter that I can think of people being like "I NEED to get a WiiU for this!" Is smash, I mean really who would buy a WiiU for another Donkey Kong country or Mario Kart when they could play the exact same thing on the Wii, Gamecube, etc.

Smash is at least a guaranteed 4 million+ though. The original sold 5 million units, Melee was 7 million, and Brawl was 11 million.

Also, Mario Kart Wii sold 32 million units. If that's are not a system seller I don't know what the fuck is.

Have you even played 3D World? It's so good it's the reason I'm buying a Wii U this Christmas.

I just hope we get a new Star Fox soon. Other than that I'm perfectly fine with next year's lineup, pretty hyped actually.

Nintendo will be the last company standing. There will always be kids........as long as the human species keeps procreating....Nintendo will always be around.:sc2vol2:

I haven't played 3d world but have watched a good amount of it, it looked decent, but nothing to make me buy the console. And I've never played a Star Fox but would enjoy playing one soon. All I really know about it is that Falco prefers the air and the wjole barrel roll thing.

And no patriots, kids are getting on more mature games like CoD, Halo, etc. The main crowds Nintendo is still appealing to is families and the Man-Children.

Well......I meant kids who have decent parents. Like a parent such as myself. My kid will grow up on mario and you know..........NOT shoot up the school........and norik that graph or table or whatever was a hoot.

Back