Ninja Gaiden 3

page

[11] Champion
A year ago, during the last TGS, Ninja Gaiden 3 was announced. All we got was a promo pic showing Ryu's face and hand, covered in blood, so there wasn't much to talk about.

Well, now we know more. As I predicted (somewhere else, obviously), Yosuke Hayashi, who directed the 2 Ninja Gaiden Sigma remakes for the PS3, took over Team Ninja and the series after Itagaki left Tecmo to do his own thing. There's potential for light drama here, but not much more than that. Itagaki has always been candid about how much he didn't like Hayashi's interpretations of his games, but Devil's Third, Itagaki's original game, is not only being released a year later (and, strangely, on the ps3 and wii u), but is a multiplayer 3rd person shooter, not a singleplayer action game. They're not going to be competing with each other directly, though I'm sure Itagaki will have things to say when Ninja Gaiden 3 comes out.

gaiden3large.jpg

Now we have some substantial, nearly completed -- the game is set to release Q1 2012 -- gameplay to talk about. Take a look:

First up, let's get the gameplay out of the way. Surely it's the most important part of an action game. From the gameplay demo, and the info now being released, we can see that Hayashi and his team have gutted a substantial amount of the past 2 game's elements in service of a new vision and setting.

While blood is still in the game, and plentiful, there is no more dismemberment. Enemies can be cut, and they will bleed and die, but heads and arms stay on. This promotes the more personal element they're trying to bring to the action: if you cut everyone's head off then they don't get a chance to beg for mercy. Instead, human enemies have 2 states of defeat. After taking a certain amount of damage they will become submissive and crawl around, bleeding and begging for their lives, or simply throw their weapons down to surrender. A player can either leave them like that, or finish them off. To facilitate further connection between the player and his victims they also never shut up.

Other basic parts of combat have been changed as well. From the new swallow dive, to the removal of both dodging and rolling. Ultimate Techniques, which used to rely on charging or defeated enemy essences, is now charged gradually by doing damage to enemies, and fuelled by a curse put on Ryu. When he's killed enough his arm will start to glow, and the Ultimate Technique can be performed (the actual attack is much different as well, with Ryu teleporting from enemy to enemy instead of attacking a few in a small range). The game also has a greater use for stealth, with what seems like regular stealth segments during which Ryu will slow his walking speed in order to sneak up on enemies. Ninpo, ninja magic, is no longer based on scrolls and a separate resource, it's instead a super move that can be used whenever the bar under Ryu's health is full.

Outside of combat things are also different. The shop and save systems are gone. Items are all found in chests or enemy bodies, weapon upgrades happen at set points during the game. Saving is now done at regular, set intervals by an eagle that swoops from the sky and lands on Ryu's arm. Ryu's new slide is often used as part of the between-action quick time events (with prompts that can be disabled), and he can now climb certain walls using his kunai.

There will be only katana swords in the game, though they should have some different moves between them. Curiously, there aren't any Fiends around. They may have been phased out to promote the theme of killing other humans.

This is an odd thing for an action game to focus on. The consequences of the main character's mass slaughter, of his killing people with his sword. The not-very-subtle in-game representation of this, besides the enemies who beg to not be killed, is Ryu's infected arm. This stuff will surely be the focus of the story. Will anything come of it? Probably not, though there are some interesting things in there, like this.

During this short interview Hayashi teases a competitive online multiplayer mode of some sort. This is being called the World of Ninjas, and is supposed to include both competitive and cooperative online modes for up to 8 players, during which they will be controlling fledgling ninjas who merely aspire to Ryu's level. Looks like there's some light character creation, and images of the multiplayer can be seen here.

According to Hayashi they want to keep the game hard for those who like Ninja Gaiden because it's hard, but they're adding a special option called Hero Mode that will allow new players to experience the story of the game without the difficulty, giving them things like auto-block and auto-evade. Supposedly the hard mode is still hard, though.

Peter Garza, the head of Team Ninja's localization effort, has been doing the rounds with interviewers.

Editor's notes provided by my basic need to be sarcastic.

60fps

“Team Ninja is known for smooth movement and great combat. Even if we’re trying to work in these visual metaphors [such as Ryu's glowing arm], we want to preserve that core gameplay, so having it run at 60 frames per second with animation that is as smooth as we can get it – that is extremely high priority for us.

“If we lose that we lose our existing fans and we lose what Team Ninja has been know for."

Garza explained, the team worked on maintaining that framerate first, then added visual flourishes on top once they knew they wouldn’t detract from the fluidity of the game.

“It’s an on-going process,” he said, “and during development we will see the frame-rate slow and say ‘right, we can’t put that in there, so let’s rework that’.”

Less Video-Gamey

"The team has been grown from his foundations. But I think they’re looking at maybe taking a more immersive, less ‘video game’ style approach now. We’re definitely looking at the landscape of the games industry, and where it might be going in the future."

"One thing that we really changed in order to keep players engaged in the story is how we deal with more ‘video game’ elements. So for example, in the past you had essence popping out of dead bodies which you absorbed and brought to conveniently-placed dragon statues that would magically transport you to a shop. All of those ‘gamey’ elements take you out of the world and impede immersion.

"For Ninja Gaiden 3 we’re looking for different ways to work that kind of functionality. The normal gameplay and the combat play into the story itself, and then the events of the story also work back into the gameplay. One example is the curse that Ryu has with his arm. That curse feeds off the fact that Ryu has killed so many people, and in gameplay terms the more people you kill the more that curse flares up. You can do super-cool moves to unleash those powers, but the thing is you have to kill people in order to do that. That’s the balance, the give and take between the gameplay and story that we’re trying to use to weave this more immersive experience. [Editor's Note: ???]

"And obviously maybe some players won’t be craving a Ninja Gaiden game with a deep, deep story - but we hope that we can offer the action that everyone knows, loves and respects while also taking the game experience to new levels."

"I think for ... at least since the first game in this new series - the first game nailed combat. The second one you had more splatter and visual 'coolness'... for Ninja Gaiden 3, there's been a concerted effort to make this more of a modern action game." [Editor's Note: Considering that the new Ninja Gaiden series is a cornerstone in defining what a modern action game is, this comment is beyond strange.]

"No resting on its laurels and doing things because that's how they've always been done. There's been a lot of work in trying to make it more immersive, to look at other modern games that are out there now, and to incorporate game design that are in other games."

"I don't know if there's one specific franchise, but I can say that if you look at a lot of western games right now there are more immersive experiences. Whether it's looking at Heavy Rain, or Battlefield... it's all this seamless, immersive experience. Even Assassins Creed has it's own metaphors for what it does... that's the kind of ideas, the kind of game design we're looking that." [Editor's Note: Well, that helps with that mystery. The modern games they were drawing their inspiration from aren't even action games. In another interview he mentions Portal 2 and Dead Space.]

"When we look at the way games are evolving, they go more towards an elusive style and we want to be there at the forefront of action games to give that immersive aspect."

"We want to keep you in the experience and not have you think ‘Oh it’s just a game’. And that’s where I think we’re going to be different from Bayonetta. I think we’re closer to God of War but still possibly even more immersive. [Editor's Note: That explains the addition of quick time events.]"

Making Ryu More Human

"The original concept for this was the question, ‘what does it mean to cut someone down with a sword?’ There are a lot of Western shooters where you’re killing enemies from far away. But with Hayabusa’s sword, they’re only a metre away from you. Trying to portray that side - that sense of visceral brutality - was the core concept for Ninja Gaiden 3. [Editor's Note: Guess nobody bothered to ask what it was like to mash someone to a pulp with a giant stick?]

"We focused on the story this time round and trying to portray Ryu as not just a mindless killing machine from a Japanese arcadey game, but focus on his humanity and what makes him tick and talking about the consequence of killing someone. The players will be able to make more of an emotional connection to Ryu through the brutality that they will commit throughout the game and they’ll see Ryu as a Japanese dark hero and not just a cool killing machine. We really want to humanise Ryu and show the real person behind the mask.

"He does what he has to do as a ninja. He has to throw away his own thoughts and feelings to carry out his duties and what he’s assigned to do. So it’s not so much about second-guessing his actions, but it’s about dealing with the consequences that happen - both in terms of gameplay and in terms of story too."

"We’re definitely not making him emo (laughs)! We want to show the consequences of his actions in a mature and adult way, but still within the style of a Ninja Gaiden game. So it’s not like he’s going to be navel gazing or cutting his arms or anything like that."

Story

"It's more of a coincidence than anything, but there is a connection to the original Ninja Gaiden [Editor's Note: From the NES days]. We have the writer for the original Ninja Gaiden doing the story for this one. He wrote that and then went one to do some other big titles and now he's back." [Editor's Note: That's actually interesting.]

Stealth

"The stealth sections are in there to add a little spice. It’s not going to be the core element of the gameplay. They’re just in there to change up the pace and the tempo. If you keep that high tension combat up all the time, you’ll get used to it or lose the impact of the high action sequences.

"He is a ninja and it makes perfect sense for him to be doing that kind of stuff, but the high-impact gameplay is still very much at the core of what we’re doing here."

"If you don’t sneak around, you’ll face a harder challenge. But we don’t want to make that the fore of any kind of gameplay. We know that people aren’t used to sneaking around in a Ninja Gaiden game. They’re used to running around and jumping on anything that moves. So those elements and also the new climbing, those are more for adding in variation and a little bit of spice to the overall tempo."

Weapons and Upgrades

"There will not be the same shop aspect as in the past game. You will get power ups and you will slowly unlock moves, but those are tied into story mode – so within the course of the story you’ll unlock different swords. Each one will bring with it it’s own moves and powers, but you’re not hitting the dragon statue at the side of the road to power things up again. That was one of the sort of gamely aspects that we wanted to revise and streamline for the experience on the whole."

"The single player is focused on the story and the concept of cutting someone down so it revolves around sword play – the core combat for the single player then will be based around the Katana."

"Online, however, we have a different idea. It’s more like the world of ninjas, and for that you’ll be able to make your own ninja and compete with other people from around the world. You can customise the way you look, the weapons that you use and compete on a global scale."

"There’s co-op missions, which you can complete with either a computer-controlled AI or another player [Editor's Note: Co-op is 2 players only.], and also eight player online team battles and deathmatches. You start out as a rookie ninja, and there’s a level system that allows you to grow as you play more of the modes. You can unlock new abilities as well as items and customisation features - there are about 2,000 kanji characters that you can wear on your back, for example. Within the rules for the deathmatches and team battles we’re trying to put our own ninja spin on that."

"[Multiplayer level design] involves a lot of iteration and basic level geometry. We’re always trying to find out what would happen if you placed a certain object here, or let players slide down there... it is a lot of work, but it’s also the fun part of it. It’s not so much a challenge in terms of latency though, as we’ve done online fighting games before. We’re using our experience with Dead or Alive to make sure we can deliver an online action game that fans of the series will love. [Editor's Note: Dead or Alive's online play was painfully bad, though it had a nice feature set.]"

Difficulty Modes = Play Styles

"For Ninja Gaiden 3 we are implementing what we like to call play styles. We know we have a long history and we have earned a cred for being a hard game and the fans who have cleared the game on ultimate ninja wear that as a badge of honour and we definitely want to give them a challenge and in no way are we trying to dumb it down at all. So that challenge is still there for them, but that being said we know that there are a lot of people who have thrown their controllers away and even more people who haven’t played a Ninja Gaiden game at all. We think those players (when they come to Ninja Gaiden 3) it’s not a case of being good or bad, it’s a matter that they have different skills, maybe they’re used to different games mechanics – so we set up play styles and we have a ninja play skill for the people who want the normal challenge who have played in the past. We also have a Hero play style which is more for the people who just want to play through the story without having to worry about each and every battle. So for people who are new to the series or to players who have thrown their controllers off the wall, Hero play style is there, though you’ll still face hard enemies, but there are things going on in the background to help the player, not to make it easier, and bring you up to that difficulty level." [Editor's Note: Hayashi has already said that Hero Mode would include things like auto-blocking and on-screen prompts for quick-time events and special moves.]

Alternate PS3 and Wii-U Controls

"We’re just getting the game up and running on the [Wii-U's] development hardware, so it’s not completely in parallel with the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions [Editor's Note: He says that, specs-wise, the hardware is comparable to the 360 and PS3 right now.]. We’re thinking of ways to use the controller, and definitely Dragon Sword is there as a point of reference for how to do Ninja Gaiden using touch controls. Whether that gets put in as-is, or whether we tweak it for the Wii U... we’re still trying to figure out what works best."

[He also calls the Wii-U version of the game Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge.]

"The PS3 game will support Move in the Hero play style."

"We looked at Kinect, but we didn’t get the gameplay connection with it that we were looking for. So we felt we could serve the 360 fans better through other aspects, other than Kinect."

Downloadable Content

"We're definitely planning on having DLC, what DLC there will be is still very much under construction - we're just concentrating on the game itself right now, and finding out what is fun for people."

General stuff: The Ninja Camera is supposed to still be in the game. When Ryu uses his fully charged ninpo meter to cast a spell he also gets all of his health back.

I Love everything Team NINJA and this game is going to rock! I have always said the best way to make an action game have more replay value, is by adding an online versus mode, and especially with a game like NG Now it going to like a 3D fighting game! Its going to be so sweet!

I ll see you all online mudafuckers!!! Its NINJA TIME AAgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I gotta say im dissapointed in this game this far. Ive only gotten a little more than half done. But no different weapons, no upgrading and all the enemies are just very repetative.

NG3 is alright. Hack-n-slash games, in general to me, are repetitive by nature so I'm not complaining.. especially after playing enough Musou games out there lol.

-ASZ

Yeah true but NGit was different. You had various weapons,ninpos and projectiles that added fun to it. I dunno. Just seems
All generic to me.

Then again i havent completed the game so maybe i havent got to the good stuff yet. *crosses fingers*

HRD

They basically turned the game into Dynasty warriors and thats what I dont like. I love my Musou games but I want it in a MUSOU type way, but with ninja gaiden I want... over the top action that makes my blood boil. It just felt like a generic hack and slash and ryu was just there to do the killing. If it was selling for 20 or 30 and 30 is pushing it, then maybe it would be worth the price.

The number one problem with this game is that it isn't challenging. People bought NG for the challenge, and in this game they tried to focus on story elements when their writing is laughable. No one even knows what the story line for NG is even about because its so messed up, and here they thought they would sacrifice everything for story?

The number one problem with this game is that it isn't challenging. People bought NG for the challenge, and in this game they tried to focus on story elements when their writing is laughable. No one even knows what the story line for NG is even about because its so messed up, and here they thought they would sacrifice everything for story?

Story is something bout a british milita that started shooting up something. Then some former clan member has gone rouge and has developed homosexual tendancies........I dunno.

The story in the NG series actually interested me in previous installments. It was a minor part of what drew me to the series but still a small part non-the-less!!

Ima sit down tonight and finish the game. and then I guess I can give an actual real opinion. But NG was my absolute favorite game aside from calibur. When SC2 came out, NG1 came out round the same time. I remember standing there at gamestop with both games in my hand trying to decide which one to get. I chose NG first (I know shot me huh?). Then went back the next day and got SC2.

I gotta say that the previous 2 games are miles apart from this one. Looks like they should have let that producer go!!

HRD

Should I even buy this game? From one review after another, it's nothing but complaints and how poor the game is compared to it's predecessors because of the gameplay removals. One thing that's really keeping me back is the multiplayer; it's the reason I still haven't plat Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 yet. I wish multiplayer didn't even touch this series...

Should I even buy this game? From one review after another, it's nothing but complaints and how poor the game is compared to it's predecessors because of the gameplay removals. One thing that's really keeping me back is the multiplayer; it's the reason I still haven't plat Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 yet. I wish multiplayer didn't even touch this series...

I couldnt agree more with this. Compared to its predecessors, This game doesnt compare.

But its still ninja gaiden. It still has the fun elements of relentless enemies coming at you from every angle. Its still pretty fun. You do end up getting the falcon talons as a weapon but no others just yet. Ive been looking forward to this game since I heard it was coming out. I was so close to pre-prdering it and buying it. But the wife convinced me to just gamefly it first. Kinda glad I listened to her...For once.

So should you buy it? I dunno, I prolly wouldnt. But glad I at least got to play it!

Ninja Gaiden 2 > Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 > Ninja gaiden 3

my xbox is dead so I can no longer enjoy NG2, but at least I can still pretend I am playing the same game when I do stuff like this in Sigma 2

Back