Internet Browsers

Opera. Sometimes Firefox, but I haven't been as big of a fan since the jump to version 3.

I personally see no reason to use Firefox except for the Firebug extension. I personally use IEx64. x64 (64-bit) browsers are MUCH better than x86 browsers (32-bit); as the x86 browsers tend to have massive memory leaks; FF especially. When it comes down to it, almost every website on the net these days require some sort of scripting; and Firefox has scripting problems; it can't even handle the DOM (Document Object Model) correctly. Yes, IE is not standards compliant; but thats why I like it as a web-publisher. The standards are arcane and retarded. Not to mention, pages generally look different in IE (they look better). I mean, name me a banking website that works as it should in FF; they don't exist.

Yes, you can use an extension that lets you use the IE engine in FF, so you get all the IE features; like beautification, DOM control and general scripting advances... but at that point... JUST YOU IE! Sure, everyone says that FF is more secure than IE; but thats just snake oil. IE is just as secure as FF; the difference is that much of the security is OFF by default because you need them off to browse even some of the more basic of websites. At least in IE, there are switches, in FF you can't disable the security. Technically I HAVE TO use both, because I need to test every site I make in a multitude of browsers...

But if you dont like IE... use Opera, dont use that FF shit...

IE = non-standard, but is light weight and allows scripting...
OP = extremely standards compliant and EXTREMELY light weight...
FF = has extensions, but is very heavy and memory intensive...

Chrome = seriously... you have no reason to ever use this. Its not as standards compliant as OP, doesn't offer the extensions of FF, and doesn't have the scripting or beautification of IE... so why use it?

Chrome = seriously... you have no reason to ever use this. Its not as standards compliant as OP, doesn't offer the extensions of FF, and doesn't have the scripting or beautification of IE... so why use it?
It takes up the least screen real estate to use. I love the UI.

I think Chrome is in Beta...it will get fixed

IE on the other hand has to many holes for Hacker & Virses(sps) to come in

It takes up the least screen real estate to use. I love the UI.
Have you used IE7? It only uses 20 pixels more than Chrome at the top (for the tabs)... it has a smaller footprint than FF and OP.

And IE has the same holes as any other browser. People are usually hacked through SCRIPTING; not through IE. Sure, you can't be hacked through FireFox with scripting... BECAUSE FIREFOX FUCKING SUCKS FOR SCRIPTING! The majority of the functioning websites on the net need scripting to work properly; so through FF you lose a lot of features of that website.

The majority of people I have seen who use FireFox also use the IE extension... in which case, they may as well be using IE and can get those so called "Hacker & Virses" anyways. Either way, the idea that FF is more secure than IE is just hogwash based on version of IE that are now over 5 years old. If you are using the newest version of IE, you are fine.

While it's true IE7 is close, those 20 pixels for the titlebar make it look pretty massive compared to chrome.

Nice to see Opera get some love here though.

Please forget just about everything Jaxel just said. That man is too hardcore.

IE is truly the LAST browser you wanna use.

From a developer's point of view, IE is so retarded that I won't even argue here. Come talk to me in person if you want the full details.

From a user's point a view now... although I don't understand what "beautification" Jaxel is talking about (first time I ever hear that, especially considering that the other browser's interfaces vary according to the OS they run on), I can't think of one single reason of using IE over any of the other browsers mentionned above.

Seriously... can anyone name ONE, ONLY ONE, useful or innovative feature carried by IE that other browser's don't already have ? In terms of UI, the only thing IE has been doing for years is try to catch up with all the innovative features brought by the competition.

ShenYu: in terms of UI I totally agree with you. Chrome is just neat. I also appears to be fast and brings some well-thought features. Haven't had the time to thoroughly test it though.

Opera: great simplistic UI. Imo, Opera is the firefox of 6 years ago, when people started to pick it up for its clean and fresh interface. Now that firefox has grown so big and cumbersome, it can be a fairly good choice.

FF: well I'm a developer, it's THE choice by default. If you want tips as to how make it the killer development platform, I'll be glad to tell u what to do.

Now for a regular user, several features make it really great
  • since FF3: the "awesome bar". Pretty sure it's a FF invention. If it effectively is, that reason alone is worth switching to FF. The amount of time saved is priceless, since navigation + history + bookmarking are now merged in one place. Check it out, hard to explain.
  • highly customizable interface, I seriously don't know if any other browser reach that level
  • portability: extensions like FEBE and Foxmarks are simply life changing: basically anywhere you go you can have YOUR firefox. At work, home, friend's. History, sessions, boorkmarks... everything is synchronized.
  • the tremendous amount of extensions and add-ons you can install based on what you like...

To sum up:
UI, look and feel: between Opera, Chrome, Safari and FF.
Customization and features: FF by far
Dull and outdated: IE

I hated the firefox address bar in 3.0 at first, but now I can't really see why anyone would put up with anything less.

I loved the awesomebar from the start. And since Chrome has something similar it's kinda another reason I mostly use Chrome nowadays.

That and the fact that one rouge Flash application isn't going to crash my browser and obliterate my tabs. Lol.

I don't get whats so special about Firefox's awesome bar... all the browsers have it, the only difference is that Firefox is the only one that stores the additional meta information. When you type something into OP or IE, it has a drop-down menu that lists your history and favorites as well.

I use Firefox but when I used to do my own websites, I used Internet Explorer. I really have no preference. As long as it isn't Netscape.

I use firefux over everything else because a lot of webpages screw up for me in IE. (Like websites with custom profiles, etc.) Also, I like my foxytunes, fireNES, foxclocks, and other stuff I use.

Firefox all the way for me. With the right combination of security-based addons installed, you can minimise the risk of potentially malicious content that could be lurking all over the Internet infecting your computer.

Internet Explorer is not bad, but it gets slow and clunky pretty quickly if you're busy browsing with several tabs on. Even with 9 or 10 tabs, I found Firefox loads pages pretty quickly. It is a little slow loading pages featuring Java games, though.

You know I am a normal human being so, I use firefox and Internet Explore. Whatfuckisallthisothershit?

Back