Hitbox Legality

mkl

[00] Signia's Cheerleader
I'm thinking of buying a Hitbox before SCV comes out. I was wondering if any of the players that are really ingrained in the tournament scene here think they will be banned so I don't waste any money. I simply cannot get iMCF out on a pad and would prefer not to use a stick so the Hitbox seems like a great alternative.

http://www.hitboxarcade.com/
Here is information on it if you are unfamiliar. Communities like MvC3 and MK9 have had a lot of discussion on it but I haven't seen any for SC.

Hitboxes will be legal, I think Sora uses one?
Anyways, there's (to the best of my knowledge) never been any controversy regarding them in Soul Calibur tournaments, at least in England. I can't see them being banned, but a stick is miles better for soul, imo.

Hitboxes will be legal, I think Sora uses one?
Anyways, there's (to the best of my knowledge) never been any controversy regarding them in Soul Calibur tournaments, at least in England. I can't see them being banned, but a stick is miles better for soul, imo.

Yeah, I agree. Hitboxes seem to give you a far bigger buff for 2D fighters. I'll have to see how V controls in general (especially Yoshi) before I slap down $160.

I'm actually considering buying a hitbox solely for SC5. I feel the movement factor will be a hell of a lot easier. But the problem is they're so damn small and I actually want to have the buttons spaced out away from each other. I wonder if there's anyone else out there who can do that.

I'm actually considering buying a hitbox solely for SC5. I feel the movement factor will be a hell of a lot easier. But the problem is they're so damn small and I actually want to have the buttons spaced out away from each other. I wonder if there's anyone else out there who can do that.

I feel the same way. I also don't like having the up button that far away. It might be a good idea for 2D fighters but it would fuck with my head. I think you can request certain changes when you buy your hitbox. You might be able to ask for those changes.

I actually did. The guy who answered said something along the lines of they would be able to put it into a 16" wide box but as far as getting it modded to change the button layout he'd give me the name of a guy who would do it. So yeah i don't feel like going through all that if I can just find someone who can make it the way I want it.

They actually made the hitbox bigger recently, perfectly sized IMO. I got mine just recently but won't get to play with it for at least another week due to finals. So I can't really comment on the buttons, initially I thought it might be too small but after a few moments with it I think it works.

Truly my mind is blown at the thought of being in perfect control and bringing my execution to the point where it is nearly perfect. I was screwing around with just frames and was liking what I saw. So many ideas but I need a little more time till I can test out everything.

Well I'm a huge fucking guy so the wider the better for me. It's really uncomfortable to hunch my shoulders inward the entire time. That's why I'm not only looking for it to be wider but I also want the directional buttons to be put on the extreme left and the action buttons to stay where they are. If I could get that I'd buy one right now

I feel you on that, maybe you can have one built or maybe the hitbox guys can make one for you(at a reasonable price). At the very least if you run into someone with one ask to try it out.

It really is a great concept, I think it's gonna be great for SC. Good luck hopefully you can find something that works out for you.

As little as I've played with it on SC, the Hitbox already feels GREAT for 3D fighters. Stepping is such a breeze now, since I've always had problems double-tapping up naturally on a stick (this could just be a 'me' problem).

Anyway, like most of you, I did have problems and initial skepticism about the up button being more of a spacebar position rather than a WASD position. After playing with it for 2+ months though, I have to say I can't imagine it being in any other place. This placement obviously has more benefits for 2D fighters given tiger knees, but I see how this set up makes it much easier to switch between up and down at any given moment. This is because just rotating your hand will make you go from up to down, rather than taking your finger off the up button to go onto the down button (if this makes sense).

But, like I keep saying to everyone, if you want to learn to play on a Hitbox, the Up button will screw you for a while. :p

I do get asked this question a lot (especially my SC contacts) so I might do a video tutorial just for 3d fighters, since the HB guys have been solely focusing on 2d fighters because of current game popularity.

PS.
For those with really wide fingers (not hands, there's a difference), the current generation of the Hitbox may not be for you as the buttons are too small. The buttons are big enough for small-slightly big fingers, but maybe not more than that. They did make the box itself wider for those with good size hands, but kept each button size the same. (Just my two cents though -- I have wide hands but narrow fingers like piano hands).

As someone who has kept up with Hitboxes, the developers are VERY good about fixing problems in newer models. I see no reason to have them banned at all, and would throw my weight behind that if it ever became an issue.

PS: I don't use one, but I support the idea of "play however is comfortable", especially if it doesn't prop up skill in some way artificially.

Reactions: mkl
I don't see any reason why it would be banned for SC. I would wait until you actually bought SCV before spending a bunch of money on a hitbox.

Good luck getting one before SC5. I've been on the waiting list since November.

Since the only major problem I've found hitbox owners talk about is half circle motions I'm sure it'll be ideal for 3d fighters. And I say they're legal, so they are.

Hitboxes are actually not a new idea... people have been making stickless sticks for over a decade now... but they have never been popular until Hitbox came up with a more natural hand design.

That being said, there really isn't any controversy with hitbox sticks. There are very few games which have issues with them. The only one that really comes to mind is Marvel vs Capcom 3. And this is because with the hitbox, you can block both directions at the same time, thus negating all crossups.

In Soulcalibur, we have a guard button, there is no such thing as a crossup. However, if it turns out that with the hitbox stick, you can block both low and high at the same time; which I highly doubt, then they may be called into question.

I thought they were programmed to not allow simultaneous 2 way blocking anyway? But yeah, if it gives perfect guard in SCV, I'll be waiting in the long ass line to get one.

I thought they were programmed to not allow simultaneous 2 way blocking anyway? But yeah, if it gives perfect guard in SCV, I'll be waiting in the long ass line to get one.
Yeah, the HITBOX stickless sticks are programmed that way. But there are many stickless sticks not made by HITBOX.

Back