Guard Traps

A_Bad_Idea

[09] Warrior
Alright, so after extensive research, I've found some cool ways to make up for Tira's subpar frames. Since her frames aren't good enough to put on a good pressure game, she gets easily punished on block. However, with a handful of useful moves, we can make use of this apparent vulnerability in Tira's offense. I call these Guard Traps, a strategy where you purposely throw out a move to be guarded against, in anticipation of a punish.

GS :B::+::K:
As we know, the GI frames for GS B+K are i2 - i12, so if you use it normally, the only way you can catch someone with it is if you anticipate beforehand. Normally this requires strict timing, but if we take advantage of Tira's negative frames on block, we can effectively move the GI window to more favorable frames. How so, you ask?

1B: Special Mid, i16, -9 on block
There's not an awful lot of pushback, and it's generally safe to throw out. If you use GS B+K after 1B on block, the -9 pushes you aGI window to i11-i21. With a window that large, you can catch a LOT of good common punishes (as long as they are mid, and move the opponent slightly closer to you). For example, this trap catchs iGDR, sisters' EWGF, JF Umbrella, even Hilde C3A and C3B! As a fair bit of warning, this won't work against all mids; sometimes the GI will push the enemy too far back and the grab will miss.

3K: Mid, i15, -9 on block.
Nearly identical to 1B, but just one frame faster, even if the kick looks pretty slow... all the more reason an enemy might try to punish after blocking it. Using B+K afterwards still gives you the same aGI window as 1B. After a bit of testing, I've found that there's practically no pushback at all, and at closest range, B+K will catch just about any mid that comes out that's within the aGI window.

6K: Mid, i16, -12 on block.
A simple move to throw out, and even simpler to get the opponent to block. Don't let the -12 scare you, because the most impressive part of the move is that it forces crouch on block, and with a GI window of i14-i24, Tira can catch most common WR moves (and heck, it even auto-JIs EWGF!). Most 2A's barely escape the GI window at i13, but the pushback from 6K makes it such that most 2A's won't even connect. Don't try this against Setsuka; you can't stop the JF Umbrella if you attempt this.

2A+B: Mid, i26, -5 on block.
Also forces crouch, but is WAY linear and easier to step. The GI frames are significantly different at i7-i17, but that means it'll catch more things, even 2As and JF Umbrella.

44K: High, i12, -8 on block.
Provided Tira doesn't suffer a headache stun, this is a move that BEGS to be punished, even if it's only -8. The GI window opens up to a fair i10-20, a good window for catching most all mids from FC, since this move also forces FC on block.

GS :4::4::A: / BF :4::4::A:
At -17 on block, this is a risky move to use on its own. However, with a meaty sidestep built in, you could fool someone pretty hard with this move if you set up for it correctly. The step dodges things mostly during the beginning of the move, so like B+K, you'll only be actually dodging with this if you anticipate something; hence, the need for Guard Traps. For some nice damage and a right-side RO, you'll find good use for this move.

BB: Mid, i16, -6 on block
6B: Mid, i19, -7 on block
1B: Special Mid, i16, -9 on block
You'd essentially use these setups the same way. All three moves usually call for an immediate response from the enemy, and provided they don't use a solid horizontal, you'll step gracefully to the side and punish with good damage. BB is easier to set up for, but more dangerous as some close range moves (even while linear) will still hit Tira (like sisters' EWGF and Mitsu B6). You'll find most of the time, however, that you will be sidestepping clear around certain horizontals also.

The most effective use of this setup happens when 6B or 1B is guarded at maximum range. Most close range punishes, even if horizontal, likely won't hit, and Tira will still be in range to connect with the 44A.

6B8: High, i14, -3 on block
Closer range, but the frames are much more forgiving. You can escape some of the faster interrupts like EWGF.

BF 66A: High, i19, +3 on block
As Tira's only move that gives +frames on block that isn't a Guard Break, the +frames speak for themselves. This allows Tira to escape even the fastest of punishes, provided they aren't horizontal. It's also performable at range, giving you enough room to escape 2As and such.

I feel like I've been doing this before, but with different moves. Like, I would do GS 2A+B, then B+K. Interesting tactic o.O

JS 3K is not i15, retest.
GS 3K is around i15...but not identical to 1B in looks or purpose.

Nice work. I reflexively use GS B+K though, cuz that autoGI is gangsta like that.

JS 3K is not i15, retest.
GS 3K is around i15...but not identical to 1B in looks or purpose.

Nice work. I reflexively use GS B+K though, cuz that autoGI is gangsta like that.

Since he's talkin' about using GS B+K you know he meant GS 3K silly mon. Oh GS B+K.....if only your recovery on whiff wasn't so long. Meant to say this long ago but good job ABI.

Yea that's what i thought he meant, but then he compared it to 1B, so i thought he was referring to it's range and pushback instead of just the blockstun. Just a misinterpretation on my part my bad :)

GS 22A on block = nice autoGI setup as well.

Back