FOOD! Recipes and Pictures

page

[11] Champion
Cooking stuff -- with pics PIZZA ON PAGE 3!

I've been disheartened by the lack of cooking going on around here. Flashchat seems to populated almost exclusively with people who don't know what they're doing in the kitchen, and that's just wrong.

I'm making this thread to show that cooking is usually both easy and rewarding. I'll share my recipes as I cook and hopefully pics as well.

Usually I just adapt recipes, since you can never be sure about having all the ingredients and I'm used to cooking for a bunch of people.

Today's Recipe: Page's Goulash

Ingredients

Vegetable oil
Pork loin, about 2.6kgs, cubed
4 small-to-mid sized onions, chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 large green peppers, chopped
a couple dozen mushrooms, sliced
7-8 tbsp paprika
4 796ml cans of chopped or stewed tomatoes
2 1/2 tsp marjoram
4-5 tbsp flour
plenty of salt and pepper

Directions

0 - Gather ingredients and cube the pork, being sure to trim off the fat.

214bn9k.jpg

214tnva.jpg

33ubkea.jpg

1 - Heat up the oil and start browning the meat, seasoning with salt and pepper.

2jaykwy.jpg

Be sure not to crowd the pan. I've got a lot of meat to brown, so I'm removing the finished batches to a bowl.

syw7i8.jpg

10pc950.jpg

2 - Add onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes longer.

2mi55ro.jpg

2cwvcjo.jpg

3 - Stir in the paprika.

28ti8ev.jpg

4 - Add the tomatoes and marjoram, bring to a boil then cover and cook on low heat for about 1 1/2 hours, until the meat is tender.

2gwtlcw.jpg

332ni36.jpg

5 - Blend the flour with a little bit of water, then stir into the stew. Bring back to a boil and simmer until thickened.

6 - Serve with sour cream and enjoy.

15zpglt.jpg

Sounds pretty good, this thread could be interesting. I would like to contribute but when I cook I tend to eye / taste test as I add in ingredients rather than measure it out.

Sounds pretty good, this thread could be interesting. I would like to contribute but when I cook I tend to eye / taste test as I add in ingredients rather than measure it out.

I do pretty much the same, but I'm putting approximate amounts here, just in case anyone else wants to give it a shot.

So, next up I'll be trying to make one of my favourite treats: Korean pickled daikon and carrots. After that, depending on how well it goes, I'll try making spicy kimchi daikon.

As for actual cooking, we'll see what I can find in the freezer. O_o

When can I come over?

Also what kind of paprika are you using? Just regular? You should try the smoked stuff. I think it could add something special.

Also Ciernian there is nothing wrong with cooking by look/feel/taste, most of the women in my family do it, people have been cooking that way for ages. Fuck measurements (unless it's baking then you will gently caress and wine and dine those measurements)!

as long as you are tasting it as you go along, that's a perfectly legitimate way to cook.
Alot of recipies require you to season to taste, as opposed to just adding a certain quantity of some spice.

This looks like a great recipe, btw.. tasty... but man 7-8 tablespoons of paprika is ALOT! Did you mean teaspoons?

We need moar threads like this!

Goulash is all about the paprika, but you can adjust it to taste. I was making a fuckload of the stuff, so I added a lot, and I like it that way besides. There are goulash recipes with reduced or even no paprika, though.

i can cook, but none of that korean ish that page likes/demands. i be on that filipino ish yo.

I don't always demand Korean food. Just most of the time. I was just puzzled that someone could be Korean and not be cooking Korean food. What's up with that?

I like korean food but the two times I have tried kimchi I did not like it.

Help me like kimchi.

Kimchi is an acquired taste, at best, and only if you like spicy foods.

The best part is that if you go to decent Korean restos (there are a lot where I live) you get lots of it, because Koreans eat it with every meal.

Hey, a cooking thread. This goulash looks great, maybe I'll give it a shot sometime.

I don't really make much besides the Filipino dishes I grew up with, much more of a baker to be honest.

Seriously? I think it's so much less stressful than cooking. Yeah, you have to be precise with your amounts when mixing but it's pain-free once it gets in the oven. :P

I had bad experiences with baking in my youth, and now I stay far away. Someday I will be man enough to confront that most evil of kitchen activities again, and on that day I will live or die by the results.

Baking I can do...cooking I can do but I'm terribly lazy at times.

By the way, page's goulash looks good. I'd try except I dislike the taste of mushrooms, pity. If anyone has any mexican themed dishes, I will love you greatly.

Leave the mushrooms out if you want. I add them in because I like them; most goulash is peppers, onions and sometimes potatoes. I would have used more peppers and less mushrooms, but those were my last 2.

For Mexican, I don't usually cook anything more southern that Chile. But I love to make guacamole and home made salsa once and a while.

'x'
That looks yummy...I might try to make it one day. See how it goes.
Can you tell me how many teaspoons you add off paprika?

Back