Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

Juez

DragonPuncher
I havent seen a thread for this and I've just started playing this game so I want some tips and stuff. People tell me its an awesome game and when I mention fall out they say fall out 3 is like Oblivion but with guns.

Wait for Skyrim or play morrowind. Morrowing IMO was a master piece. Oblivion was terrible until you got some fundamental mods which changed a lot of the core mechanics (sorry to all the console people out there best TES games should be played on PC). Then it became a damn good game.

Btw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9eGtyqz4gY

Oblivion was the first Elder Scrolls game I've played. So from my perspective it's not bad. You've got a big this huge area to explore obviously with many forts and dungeons to discover.

In regards to race, I think a lot of ppl from Elder Scrolls would choose the Dark Elf since this race can handle a variety of melee weapons and arrows.

If you don't have to patience to travel to a designated area then you can fast travel by opening your map and select the designated area. Cities and towns you can fast travel, but for small villages, caves, forts etc. you have to discover them first before you have the option to fast travel.

Fortify strength (a magic spell) is better than spells that just lighten your load (Ease-burden, Lighten Load etc). You can carry more stuff and strengthen your power.

oblivion was the best elder scrolls game imo and miles ahead of fallout. the environment is huge it has more quests and there is more to do

yeah fallout is complete garbage compared to oblivion. morrowwind was great, but at this point i just cant step back a generation for a game like that. it is simply too long to deal with the loading and graphics.

as far as oblivion tips i have a few.

first of all. when you make a character, keep traits that will be easy to level up as a priority. as primary ones i would use things like acrobatics or healing...things you can use and level without enemies. also hit a few of the oblivion gates early. you shouldn't really need to buy anything for a long time, as you can get whatever you need in those gates. if you are wont for money, travel as light as possible and hit a gate. you always come out of them maxed on weight with a ton of valuable shit to sell.

find a couple good merchants with big purses and do business strictly with them. don't worry about their disposition. if they have lots of money to deal with, make them your partners and eventually they will like you. big wallet is far more important that a smile at first.

remember that enemies will level up as you do. if you level up your character quickly with traits that do not help you in combat, you will quickly find it getting extremely difficult as enemies seem unbeatable. i made this mistake and for HOURS i had to find enemies and then run back to towns or other friendlies to help me kill them. it has horrible. if you level up too far before closing any of the oblivion gates, two things will happen: a) they will get hard as fuck and make you mad...and b) they will get populated with daedra instead of goblins or whatever, which, if they rush you, will tend to slow down or even freeze the game.

don't waste time lockpicking...it is completely worthless. you will both find a key that is unbreakable and will open any lock, and be able to create a spell that will easily open any lock.

as soon as you can, become a vampire. the boosts it gives you are fan-fucking-tastic, and the nerfs are trivial and can easily be worked around. plus, at the end of the game, it will add about 10 hours of playtime trying to go about a cure, if you wish to do so. most people will go through the whole game afraid to go vampire, then at the end, desperate to lengthen the game, they will do it. far better to do it early and have fun with the benifits as you play the game, imo.

be wary of leaving shit all over. if you buy properties and fill them to the brim with shit, the game will slow down considerably...especially on ps3. i played through oblivion on ps3 twice, and on 2 different machines. both times i was an idiot and i stored waaaaay too much shit. by the final battle, on both games, the processor was stretched so thin that it couldn't really run the game. it is horrible when you get to the final boss and the game slows, literally, to about 1 frame per second...which happened to me on both oblivion playthroughs AND on fallout 3. WTF, bethesda?

when the dark brotherhood hits you up...DO THEIR SHIT. it will give you fantastic items and not really impact the rest of the game.

other than that, have fun with it. my nitpicking aside, oblivion is a real masterpiece of a game. prepare to be blown away many times over.

oh and when you find that diving board on the big mountain (you will know it when you do)...take a dive off the end of it just for me :D

First of all, play the game on PC with FCOM mod which includes OOO (Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul). The vanilla Oblivion is a mediocre game at best. OOO makes the game amazing, with increadible balance (the enemies don't level up with you), many more quests, items (weapons, armor, robes etc) and new super-bosses. Console version is shit with poor framefate but if it's the only version you can play then pick the PS3 because it runs more smoothly than X360 and looks better with great texture filtering.

Alright so I went to a the town Hackdrift and became a vampire when I rented a room. I was going to ask if I should do the quest that cures me but the perks are amazing and after reading what lobo said I guess I'll wait a bit. I did most of the quest in Chorrol and I can't buy a house there. I did the painting quest for the queen, rescued the daughter of the shop keeper, defended the farm from goblins, reuninted the brothers and I still can't buy a dam house. What do I need to do? I mean I have a pretty high disposition with the queen and some shop keepers since that mini game is fun.

Oh and since I'm a vampire I'm having a really hard talking to people, they don't want to talk to me and people at the guild wont teach me or sell me stuff. I have armor I want to sell but I'm having a hard time doing anything.

Find a sleeping NPC and suck their blood without waking them up. You'll lose powers and stat bonuses from advanced vampirism but go back to being able to talk with NPCs and not burn in the sun.

yeah if you drink blood you will go back to "human" for a few days. you can also cast charm spells on people.

Alright so now I'm kind of curious as what to use, light armor or heavy armor? I really like to sneak up on enemies but my strength isn't that high so I cant really kill them with my sneaking, I usually fight enemies head on and manage to win by using my potions and my weak heal spell. Should I focus on using light armor and run around more? Or heavy armor and build up my strength?

Heavy armor offers more protection but it weighs a lot and you are encumbered by it until you are master with heavy armor, which sucks because sometime you won't be able to carry a lot of loot. Light armor is the exact opposite (apart from the fact that you won't get encumbered by it once you reach an expert level. You don't need to be master at it, like in heavy armor's case) Another thing is that Heavy armor will make you slower and your spells less effective. If you're playing a stealth type of character, I'd suggest to go with Light Armor.

Speed is actually pretty important in this game imo, because when your character is slow you will find that exploring takes way too long and you will find yourself fast traveling all the time which kills some of the fun in the game.

Juece maybe it would be helpful if you can describe what race you're using, what birth sign your character is born under, and class.

Alright I realize I should of put my class and stuff before so here it is now.

Race: Imperial
Birth sign: the thief
Class: monk

ok i'm inspired. i'm going to buy this game right now.

juece...be wary of asking too many questions and looking up stuff. the great part about oblivion is doing things how you please and exploring/testing things to see what works for you.

also, as a thief you DEF want light armor.

Can anything be done about the sun damage while being outside during the day? I've noticed that only the player's life bar will continously disappear when exposed to sun while enemy vampires doesn't seem to be affected by it. Does that mean each NPC vampire is scripted to be at stage 1 of vampirism? Or is there some trick?

Not sure if stat bonus is worth as I'm playing a mage/necromancer type of character and the bonuses seem to be directed more for a different type. Also 50% weakness to fire could be an overkill for an Altmer, though. I have never played as a vampire before but seems like people are liking it.

ring, the stat boosts are worth it for the mage more so than anybody. it increases movement speed and jumping sooooo much and adds a HUGE boost to your destruction. NPC vampires are at stage 1, yeah. as far as the sun damage thing i suggest either travelling by night or drinking blood.

Ok so I went into a gate of oblivion and got some awesome weapons but they are too heavy for me to keep, they have magical effects and I don't know if I should sell some. Oh and are blunt weapons better thN blades?

For fights, I rely a lot on block, since it repels the opponent, then your next 2 fast hits are guaranted.

Blunt are slightly slower than blades, but the damages are the same. Likewise, 2 handed weapons are much slower but the damage bonus is just ridiculous.
So I advise you to use a one handed longsword.
However, the game is not unplayable if you use something else.

If I had to give you a tip, I would suggest you to max your Endurance as fast as possible.
Why : every time you level up, your hitpoints are raised by 1/10th of your endurance.
Generally speaking, maxing out your stats as fast as possible is a real "plus", since it will make your character much stronger.

Another thing : in terms of basic attributes, every race can reach 100, so the real difference comes from the special abilities you gain.
In this area, the Breton have a real advantage, since they gain 50% of resistance to magic. If you get the mundane Ring at level 22, the your magic resistance reaches 100%.

Edit :
You will find plenty of valuable information here :
http://oblivion.wikia.com/wiki/Oblivion_Wiki

Wait for Skyrim or play morrowind. Morrowing IMO was a master piece. Oblivion was terrible until you got some fundamental mods which changed a lot of the core mechanics (sorry to all the console people out there best TES games should be played on PC). Then it became a damn good game.

Btw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9eGtyqz4gY

IMO morrowind is the better game. That said, you can still have lot of fun with oblivion.

yeah fallout is complete garbage compared to oblivion. morrowwind was great, but at this point i just cant step back a generation for a game like that. it is simply too long to deal with the loading and graphics.

Have you tried New Vegas Lobo? IMO, a fantastic game. Big improvment over fallout 3.

Tips:

Lobo and I seem to have played this game exact opposite ways. Where as he was an evil mage I was a heroic fighter. Nice thing that this game can accommodate anyone. I'm going to give you some tips from my experience.

Becoming a vampire is pretty lame. People won't talk to you, you can't do a lot of speech options because you have the charisma of a rotting corpse and you can't do a lot of quests. You'll become pretty powerful without it and have a lot more freedom to play the game however you like while avoiding reputation hits. Also as a vampire oblivion gates will be a nightmare for you. The weakness to fire combined with he fact there's fire everywhere and at high levels those guys hit hard enough. Not to mention the bonus points it adds can't be leveled for real until you stop being a vampire. There's even equipment that vampires can't use such as the armor of the nine. Then there's the constant need to drink blood and the fact you have to avoid sunlight meaning you can't explore freely. All in all becoming a vampire is a handicap imo and if you're just starting the game you should avoid giving yourself unnecessary headaches

Lockpicking and other minor shit isn't useless at all. Before you level up make a save. When you level see what stats get bonuses (like strength times two) Reload. Use skills that aren't part of your spec (neither major nor minor) that also rely on that stat and level those before you hit the level up screen. Let's say you're a fighter type. Using longswords has leveled you and given you a X3 str modifier. You can push that up to 5X (the max) by jumping around town and getting about 3 acrobatics levels. (Acrobatics uses str). I never encountered the problem of having to run to gaurds to kill things because I had max str and endurance by level 8. This and the mother sign are especially useful for maxing out your endurance as soon as possible.

You can cast spells on your horse by using a touch or on target spell effect, then get on it and ride with bonuses. Handy spells include speed increase, endurance boost, slowfall and water walking. If you're not magically inclined you can stick these things on rings.

Do the quest for Azura's star as soon as you can. It's a reusable soul gem. Now make an enchanted weapon with some monster stats on it like lightning damage and lowers lightning resistance on target and fit soul trap on hit on there. Now every time you kill something it goes into the gem automatically. When the sword runs out of juice, you can fill it back up again and with the right enchants should be able to walk into oblivion gates at high levels with no problem. You can also summon things to fill the gem and recharge your weapon or to gather souls to enchant items with the highest value. Scrolls of "summon golden saint" are available in stores sometimes and golden saints have the highest soul value.

If you max out your skills and can't level up anymore, you can de-level your skills by doing something like pickpocketing or punching a guard in the face. When they ask if you want to pay the fine or go to jail pick go to jail and your skills will randomly decrease. Of course since enemies level up to there seems to be little point in this. Maybe you just want to max out all stats or maybe you realllly want 100 luck.

The later you go into an oblivion gate, the better the Sigil Stone at the heart of it's tower. You can get enchants more powerful than you could ever do yourself, like 12 str to items instead of ten.

Ok so I went into a gate of oblivion and got some awesome weapons but they are too heavy for me to keep, they have magical effects and I don't know if I should sell some. Oh and are blunt weapons better thN blades?

If you're having problems hauling gear carry feather potions. They can stack.

If it's wearing it that's the problem, then just stick them in a box till you can use them.

Though really, mostly all found weapons suck compared to what you can build.

When you level up a bit pre-enchanted weapons will all look like junk to you.

Back