"Advanced" Techniques

Signia

[13] Hero
Edit 3/3/12: This thread was meant for SCIV. Everything is different in SCV, tons of this stuff doesn't work anymore. Stuff that doesn't work anymore is labeled OUTDATED

This thread is meant to be a compilation of information on advanced techniques.

Most of us will probably know about all of these, some of them aren't even advanced. But they aren't obvious to the new player, and I had to read a lot of these forums to find this valuable information, which was in many different random places. This is meant to be very noob-friendly. Read the "Newb Silencer" in the list of stickies if you don't understand the terms. Teching is not covered here but it probably should be.

Guard Throw Escape - This is simply holding G and mashing either A or B. This way you can guard and break throws at the same time. It should look like you're just standing there guarding. Doing this while watching for low sweeps is probably the safest defensive option in the game. Mashing both A and B will not make you break all throws, just the one that you hit first once the throw break window has begun. There is no reason not to do this... it makes it so you don't have to break throws on reaction at all. At first, doing this will be very distracting to yourself and it may make you freeze up, but once you get used to it you'll never miss a throw break attempt.

Movement - Proper movement is paramount in any fighting game, or any game for that matter. You need it to control your spacing, and you neeeed good spacing.

SideStep Evading (OUTDATED) - That's right... sidestepping. A lot of players do NOT know how do it properly. In order to evade anything, most of the time 8-way-walking isn't going to cut it. To STEP, flick your stick or tap your D-pad up or down. You are not in "8WR mode" during the duration, but if you attack during the step, and this attack has a directional input in the same general direction as your step, you will do a 8WR move for that direction. Example: 2 3B = 33B, 8 7A = 77A. Evade and immediately attack for guaranteed damage. Not even edgemaster CPU can defend against this!

There is almost never any reason to be 8WRing. The only time you need it is for certain unblockables (Sophita's and Taki's) or if you're Algol or Yoda (they just 8WR for a second). You don't need 8WR for moving around normally, or for 8WR moves either (just double tap for those moves), as there are better methods which will be discussed later.

Stepping does have one minor disadvantage: You only evade to the side for a short burst, length depending on the character you're using. If your opponent delays their attack longer than this burst, you will not evade it, of course, because your sidestep ended.

Advancing/Retreating - The same as the SideStep except for the back and forward directions. If you tap your directions instead of holding them, your character will take larger and quicker steps. This useful after pushing your opponent away from you with an attack; backStepping will create even more space between you two, and your opponent might just whiff his next attack giving you the opportunity for big damage. Stepping-in is needed for closing space quickly and safely after being pushed back so you can begin your mid-low-throw mixup.

Step-Guarding (OUTDATED) - This has many purposes referring to the same technique: hitting G after Stepping. If you hit G in the middle of your step, your character will stop the short burst and guard. This can be used for creating very specific spacing by StepGing back or forward, but its main use is evading any quick linear attacks while still guarding in time for tracking attacks. Very few things will hit you while StepGing. The longer you wait to cancel the step with G, the longer the stepping period where you are evading linears while being vulnerable to tracking. Combine with Guard Throw-Escape after you hit G and you have a solid defense. Delayed attacks will now just be guarded. If you end up evading a linear attack, be sure to let go of G and punish. A variation of Step G is Step 2G.

Repeated Step g (OUTDATED though stair-stepping still works) - This is the fastest AND safest way to move around the ring. While doing this, there is only a short window where you are not evading/moving. As soon as you press and release G, you can step again. Input looks like this: 2 g2 g2 g2 g2 or 25g25g25g25g. Stair-step with 2 g4 g2 g4 g2 or 2 g6 g2 g6 g2 for safe advancing/retreating and ring positioning control. Some characters will be better at this than others. Hilde just looks glitchy when doing this. Algol can have his back to edge of the screen in seconds, and Rock can be up in your face in an instant.

Access to your movelist - This section is dedicated to being able to use any move in your movelist at any time.

Recover Crouch Cancel - Though not as important or effective in this game, the RCC gets you out of crouch and back into standing mode so you can buffer standing attacks. While crouching, you have access to all moves including 8WR moves if you single tap them except your 5,1,2,3 direction standing-only moves. Example: 2A (6) 3B. You have to hit 6 after the move has completely finished (NOW IT CAN BE BUFFERED). Your character will stand up on his/her own but with the RCC you can buffer a move so that you do the standing attack the frame you've finished standing. [really not sure if this is right.]

8WR moves from any direction - Everyone knows you can just double tap the direction of the 8WR in the move to do the 8WR-only move. However you can also do them from a Step (see the Sidestep evade section) or while 8WRing in a different direction. To use 8WR-backwards moves while advancing forward, go into 8WR mode by double tapping and holding forward, and then rotating the stick or sliding your thumb to the back direction without returning to neutral. The input would look like this: 6[6]3214. 8WR moves can be accessed from any direction just by entering 8WR mode (done by holding a direction or double tapping a direction) and then quarter-circling or half-circling to the direction of the 8WR movement your want. So if you happen to be 8WRing like you probably shouldn't be, know that you have access to all of your moves by using this technique for other 8WR moves or by canceling your 8WR with G and immediately inputting a move.

Using Crouching attacks from Standing, or iFC - Often, characters have great moves from Full Crouch, but they're hard to use because you have to be crouching. However, you can use these from standing position simply by quickly crouching and doing the move. If done correctly, it looks like you did it from standing. For example, Xianghua's iFC 3B, a safe launcher that's better in almost every way than normal 3B, is done by holding G, then 2, then 3, then releasing G, then hitting B (G23B). If done perfectly, the resulting attack is one frame slower than if done from crouch (takes a frame to crouch)

Using Rising attacks from Standing, or iWR (iWS) - The same as iFC except for rising attacks, which is done a bit differently. It's a bit harder to do perfectly, as there is timing required. iWR B is done by pressing 2G, releasing G, releasing 2 (go neutral) and hitting B after a few frames. iWR B is five(?) frames slower than WR B when done perfectly.

Methods for getting into Back-Turned (OUTDATED) - Some characters have great BT mixups but have no moves that leave them in BT. One way to get into back-turned is to jump over your opponent. This can be done while your opponent is using an advancing crouching low, or when he/she is rolling on the ground. Another very sneaky way is to wake up in back turned. When you get knocked down, pay attention: if you are face-down feet-towards your opponent, when you get up you will be in BT for a second. To stay in BT, tap 4G in this situation. Input your BT move immediately after hitting 4G for nice surprise attack.

The Guard Impact Situation - It's good to know what to do whenever you see that green flash.. otherwise you will get hurt, or you'll get no reward.

Covering Options in the Guard Impacted State - While in the GI state the only thing you can do is GI back and input throw escapes. Since you can't guard, or duck, you're going to want to GI back so you don't get hit--the question is when to GI. Most attacks that will hurt you most within the 20 frame GI state will be the attacks close to the end of the duration, i17-i20 moves. The guaranteed throw attempt they have is i17. They may throw, or they may do a fast attack, or i17-i20 attack. But they may also do a slower attack, in hopes of it landing after your miss your GI which was meant for a quicker attack. Also keep in mind they may do a low. This seems hopeless for you, but there are measures you can take to bring this down to a safe three-choice. To minimize the damage taken, you should either late-ish GI and throw escape, or guard and throw escape and watch for an unblockable or slow sweep. Once in a while do an early GI-throw escape if they keep getting quick little freebies.

Maximizing damage after a GI - You're going to want to input a move immediately after you hit your GI input. Don't even check if your GI was successful--if you fail your attack won't come out anyway. 6G3B all in one motion, for example. Now, which move? Not throws. 50% of your throws will be broken, so your expected value is going to be 25-30 damage. Only go for throws if your character's throws are just that strong or if your character has crap normal-hit damage in the below i20 range. You want to mix up between i20 or faster normal-hit combo starter and slow normal hit combo starter.

If anyone else has something to contribute, feel free to post.

I don't know how noob friendly you want this, but perhaps people who are fresh to the competitive scene might not know the difference between forward GI'ing and back GI'ing? I know I personally didn't until you told me, Sig. Perhaps I was just a total scrub, but oh well.

Forward GI'ing (Green Flash) - 6G will hurt their soul gauge while usually leaving them open to be attacked, combo'd, whatever.

Back GI'ing (Blue Flash) - 4G will heal your soul gauge, however will knock them down leaving them options to avoid an attack after it. aGI's are the exception to this. Amy's B+K stance (an aGI) will guard impact blue, while still leaving you the opportunity to combo afterwards (Being the scrub I am, I mash B+K after a launcher in hopes of aGI trapping people and then kicking them upwards, which gives a guaranteed {I believe} 3B {or perhaps something better} and with lack of air control/DI/Smash DI!{jk} an extra A hit after 3B.

Yeah, good shit here. I actually learned a bit :)

and on the GI/Parry topic. Yeah.... hahaha...

The "blue flash" (lol?) can also lead to wall splat combos if positioned correctly. Also the window for parrying (or "back-GI'ing") is longer, but if you dont have a good Okizeme it's probably best to stick with normal GI's (or even JI's)

That's right I forgot to add the Guard Impact Parry Wall Splat, that was one of the first ones I thought of when I wanted to make this thread but I forgot about it in the end. This technique gets you GUARANTEED, BIG DAMAGE, off the blue parry which has a HUGE COUNTER WINDOW. It's definitely something to keep in mind when there is a wall next to you. Also, the splat itself does damage itself, and the amount of damage varies based on an unknown factor.
Here's a video of blue parries in action (not made by me):
Other info on the blue parry:
-Since it has a larger GI window, it may be a more desirable choice despite having less reward (when not near a wall) because you don't have to amazing timing to pull it off.
-You cannot get a JI (perfect red "Just when it hits you" guard Impact) with a blue parry, so don't try it after getting JI'd, because you need to JI to prevent getting hit after getting JI'd. Auto GIs from attacks that happen to be blue can land JIs, however.
-Landing Blue Parry GI when you're not near a wall (the wall has to be to the side of you for the splat) sends them to ground, forcing an okizeme mixup. They have to guess whether you'll attack them on the ground right away, because they cannot roll away. But if they get up expecting to get hit, and you wait for that, instead you get a standing mixup mid/throw/low.

Stuff about aGIs:
-aGIs cannot be used to re-GI, they count as attacks, and you cannot attack during the GI'd state.
-Since aGIs are attacks, they can be buffered so that they come out at the first possible moment you can attack after hitstun/blockstun/recovery animation, in contrast to normal GIs.
-They have varying GI windows at starting and ending at varying times, and they often can only guard impact certain types of moves. If you're lucky the window is listed in your character's 8WR wiki. Example: Sophitia's A+B aGI window is frames 4-13 after it starts. With large windows like this you can trap them into attacking your aGI if they attack right away if you use the aGI at disadvantage.
-aGIs cannot be re-GI'd (most of the time)
-"body attacks" like kicks and headbutts or "thrusting attacks" like stabs can be used to counter some GIs. The types of attacks that an aGI counters is usually listed in the character wiki. Make sure you know what your character's mid body attack is so you know what do against things like Kilik Asura Dance or Hilde C3A.
-Damaging attacks that also have short aGI windows in them can be used to cover multiple options. Unblockables that can be canceled into quick attacks or strings that can be stopped early are defeated by the right aGIs.
-Some aGIs suck. Don't use them just because they're there.

nice topic. Shud be helpful to newbies and even ppl who have played the game for a lil while. I can't believe it took me so long till i realised i cud break throws by mashing whilst guardin xD

One thing that needs to be noted about trying to GI people into walls, when you Parry someone the "direction" of the attack determines to which side of you they get sent, so even with a wall nearby you can never be certain you will splat them into it even with a successful Parry.

/edit/ Edit unless of course you have the time to react to the attack AND judge it's direction.

This is a really good thread though, wonder why I never saw it beforehand.

Thanks for the sweet tech advice. Plenty of things I wasn't aware of here. I was thrown off at first when you mentioned back GI's. I had always called them guard slides. At least that's what they were called in SC2, right?

Thanks for nice thread. Despite being a player since SCI, I am still a beginner in terms of knowledge.

Nice explanation on step-guarding stuff. It is harder to do, as the difference in timing is very tiny, at least for me. I always side step as it is a very good strategy in the battle, but never tried guard side step. When I tried guard side stepping as instructed above, I failed to move fast with the combination 2 g2 g2 or so on as recommended. I guess I need practice? It seemed when the directional button was tapped very briefly, the character only moved a bit; but when the button was tapped a fraction longer, the character moved quite more extensively. Is this because of the availability of button sensitivity?

Another thing I would like to see is some explanation of getting up from being down on the ground. There is ukemi (directional or not); and all sorts of things that if anyone is an expert of, please post.

I was gonna try to throwout my version of what "Teching" is. But to be honest I never knew really was positive if my version of teching was the right terminoligy.

Teching to me would be movement on the ground in a certain direction, and directional moves incorperated with an input. Such as Maxis 6A+B. it has a tech crouch in it that avoids highs.

If thats what it is then good for me. Im starting to become a big boy soul calibur guy. If not or a better way to put it is available, then someone enlighten everyone.

HRD

Another thing I would like to see is some explanation of getting up from being down on the ground. There is ukemi (directional or not); and all sorts of things that if anyone is an expert of, please post.

You're options immediately after being knocked down are highly dependant on how you ended up on the ground. In most cases you were hit by an attack and fell down and the attack itself (and the circumstances of how it hit you) will dictate how you can move.

One of the two most common knockdowns doesn't have a name as far as I know, I'll refer to it as a neutral knockdown or NK for brevity. As an example of what might cause an NK, in most cases being launched then subsequentially juggled results in this type grounded situation (because most attacks dont cause the other main type on airborne opponents). Anyway characteristics of this type of knockdown are the ability to 1)roll on the ground to either side, forwards or backwards 2) Stand up and guard in place 3) Stand up attacking

1) Rolling either forwards or backwards forces you to stand up immediately. Additionally you typically cannot block through most of the period you roll backwards. You can guard while rolling sideways although inputting a low guard when rolling in the 8 direction or a neutral guard when rolling in the 2 direction can be rather difficult. If you input a guard during a sideways roll and an incoming attack would hit the hitbox you'd have if you were standing/crouching guarding (as you've chosen) then you are immediately forced into a standing position and either block the attack if your guard was correct or get hit if your block was not. Inputting a guard during a sideroll makes you stand up once that sideroll completes. If you do not guard during a sideroll you can roll up to three times consecutively before being forced to stand up. If you sideroll without guarding and stop before rolling three times you're grounded position resets. Rolling will realign your character if they are lying on the floor at an angle to being parallel to a line drawn from the opponent to your character.

2) By holding G then either neutral or 2 you can stand up in place and guard. The guard is registered earlier than it looks like in the animation, so this is a very safe way to stand up if you are given the option. Certain attacks, mostly agaisnt aerial opponents, will force this action to happen very rapidly if your finger is depressing G when you get hit. An example of this would be sophie's 9K against an airborne opponent. As a special instance you can stand up in place but not guard by tapping K+G when face-down-feet-toward or face-up-head-toward

3) By pressing attack buttons and directions you can stand up attacking. Your attack comes out much slower than it normally would. Also what attacks you can do depends on your orientation. When face-down-feet-toward or face-up-head-toward you stand up and do an attack as if you were BT, but BT B+K moves wont come out generally. When face-up-feet-toward or face-down-head-toward you stand up as if from a crouch and do can do FC/WR moves as well as an moves that require directional inputs that arent 1, 2, or 3.

Other than these 3 options you can lie still and do nothing.

In certain instances while siderolling you will not be able to guard certain attacks in certain situations. I've never heard a complete explaination for this, but my hypothesis is that if the move hits your grounded hitbox but manages to not hit the area where you're standing hitbox would be you cant block it. Really though I cant say for certain. An example of this is trying to block Asta's 2A during a sideroll after being hit with 2A+K. Most characters jsut get hit in the head whether they were blocking or not.

The last thing I'll note here about NKs is that certain moves can force limited versions of this situation. The best example I can think of is Asta's 3B which when it hits you allows you to do nothing but sideroll or lie still for a certain period of time after you contact the ground. This seems to have been desgined so that his 2A+K would combo afterwards.

The other really common knockdown type is Ukemi also refered to as Teching frequently. Ukemi stands you up rather quickly after a knockdown and lets you move additionally toward your opponent, away from them or to either side. Most knockdowns that push you a significant distance horizontally(but not vertically), groundslides, tumbles and most non-shakable stuns(when allowing the character to collapse completely to the ground) will generate Ukemi situations. When an ukemi type knockdown occurs there is an associated time window(dependant upon the knockdown) in which if you press G (or were holding it from before) you will tech in a cardinal direction associated with the input you are pressing on the D-pad (5 = 4 in this case). If you do not input anything in this window you might be stuck lying on the ground in place for a while before you are converted to an NK type knockdown status. If you do not tech damage from combos will continue to be scaled from the combo itself until this NK transtition occurs. During the first part of the Ukemi action, should you take it, you are still lying on the floor, you begin to align to a different direction depending on your current alignment and which direction you are teching. You can be hit by moves that hit grounded that come into contact with you and cannot guard them. This phase is fairly short. The second part of this action you are standing up but in a crouched position making highs and many mids whiff on you, especially if you tech to the side. During the first part of this phase you can still not guard and anything that ends up hitting you will be free. At some point during this motion, right as it ends you gain the ability to guard and will either be standing or crouching depending on whether you press G or 2G (but if you press nothing you are still crouching). Finally you are stuck standing in place and can do nothing but guard for a period of time after the teching motion completes.

Hitting someone during the vulnerable part of the tech action is typically refered to as a tech trap.

Certain knockdowns allow a special side-ways only Ukemi with a JF input called a JU or JUKE(just ukemi). Most famous example of this is right after the 2nd hit of Mitsurugi's 2KB if the first one sweeps you. Most of the time these Ukemi's are available after moves that slam you into the ground for a relaunch or a ground flop that could posssibly leave you vulnerable.

Wow, great explanation Suirad. I sorta thought that's how it worked, but yeah, I don't think anyone's actually fully explained it.

Thanks for nice thread. Despite being a player since SCI, I am still a beginner in terms of knowledge.

Nice explanation on step-guarding stuff. It is harder to do, as the difference in timing is very tiny, at least for me. I always side step as it is a very good strategy in the battle, but never tried guard side step. When I tried guard side stepping as instructed above, I failed to move fast with the combination 2 g2 g2 or so on as recommended. I guess I need practice? It seemed when the directional button was tapped very briefly, the character only moved a bit; but when the button was tapped a fraction longer, the character moved quite more extensively. Is this because of the availability of button sensitivity?

You may have stopped the step short by pressing guard too soon. Some characters take a while to complete their step (Taki's is weird.. she does a hop). Tapping/flicking up or down should never result in a step smaller than if you hold it longer.

wow... a gold mine of info if I ever saw one.. thanks guys

I never knew about the guard throw break or the guarding side step thing before... I always just walked sideways lol.... this will help alot.

Heres my contribution to "Advanced Tactics"

Fuzzy Guard - This was originally used in VF to stop buffered throws because in that game your fastest mids were i12 and throws were i8 so you can duck the immediate throws and block all mids. While that does not hold true to SC4 the idea of blocking predictably to avoid a mixup can be applied wherever a mixup doesnt have similar hit frames. A great example of this is Cervy 22A,A_B does not have like hit frames so when you learn the timing you can block both ends of the mixup and recover faster then he does if he doesnt complete the string. You can also use this ambiguously at your own peril because if people catch on and delay attacks to hit at the same time you can end up killing yourself.

Heres my contribution to "Advanced Tactics"

Fuzzy Guard - This was originally used in VF to stop buffered throws because in that game your fastest mids were i12 and throws were i8 so you can duck the immediate throws and block all mids. While that does not hold true to SC4 the idea of blocking predictably to avoid a mixup can be applied wherever a mixup doesnt have similar hit frames. A great example of this is Cervy 22A,A_B does not have like hit frames so when you learn the timing you can block both ends of the mixup and recover faster then he does if he doesnt complete the string. You can also use this ambiguously at your own peril because if people catch on and delay attacks to hit at the same time you can end up killing yourself.

yes but if you expect a grab launch mix up you could just twitch duck and they will have to start delaying attacks.

We certainly need a focus on SG. Many new players often feel Critical Finishes are just for show and never done in high level play, which is very untrue.

Dealing Soul Gauge Damage - Each move deals different amounts of soul gauge damage or "SG" damage when blocked. Consult the wiki for each individuals moves and how many it takes to break an opponents gauge (hits are listed from the gauges starting point or "green"). Generally :B: moves and 8wayrun :A: moves will be the most effective and can break as quickly as 6 hits! Be aware that moves that show a "Guard Crush" animation do not necessarily deal good SG damage. You can also deal SG damage by aGi'ing (green flash) or Gi'ing an opponent. A Ji will deal even more SG damage than a GI as well. All of these options can break a soul gauge, allowing for a Critical Finish attempt. Be sure do not lock yourself in an animation and accidentally hit the opponent during this stun animation or you will lose your chance.

Healing your Soul Gauge - Your SG heals on its own over time. You can speed this up by landing hits, aGi'ing (blue flash), or :4:Gi'ing as well. The more damage you deal to an opponent the quicker your soul gauge will recover. Your soul gauge will stop healing however when you are hit, during a throw animation, or you are holding :G:. Keep moving and only hold block when you need to to ensure your soul gauge has time to heal.

Exploiting Your Opponents Soul Gauge - SG damage is carried over from round to round, resetting to "red" if the round ended with it flashing. It is often a good strategy to build SG damage on opponents in early rounds to give you more options later on. One strategy is to deal heavy SG damage then switch to moves that deal very poor SG damage when the opponent is flashing. The goal here is to make your opponent afraid of the Critical Finish and will lower their guard or be more tempted to spam GI wildly. Attempt to beat your opponent normally without breaking the soul gauge and in the next round they will be starting in "red", making the new match much easier as now you can fight normal with them fearing to block or go for the CF.

Shaking - The concept of shaking is simply mashing back and forth between directional inputs to escape certain stuns. Not all stuns are shakable, so consult the wiki to see which ones are (indicated by SHK). It is generally best to shake by doing :4::6::4::6::4: as fast as possible. This will limit you from accidentally jumping or crouching the instant you break free. The most famous move to use this on is Cervante's :A::+::B: combo. Shake immediately after this move lands and :2::A::+::B: will fail to connect before you can block.

Twitch and Twitch Cancels - The concept of twitching is to keep your opponent in constant paranoia to encourage a Gi whiff, hesitation, or bait a poor move choice by causing your character to falsely telegraph a move. Twitches can be performed and defined in many manners. The most notable is simply tapping :G: on and off to make your character constantly "twitch". Another type of twitch is a cancel. These are done with moves that can be canceled before executing by pressing :G:. All characters can cancel :A:, :B:, and :K: by slide inputting, EX: :aG:. Your character will begin the animation and quickly abort to guard. Taunting can also be canceled. Taunting can only be canceled by double tapping a direction, performing a move, or hitting :G:. There is a slight delay at times, but this can be valuable for masking input or using it as a "kara". the best example is Ivy's iCS. Ivy's taunt makes her take a slight step forward, increasing the range of iCS. As well, the complicated throw command can often result in Ivy "dancing" in front of the opponent if the inputs are entered too slow; taunt will prevent this and allow you to perform the directional inputs without ivy 8wayrunning in circles. Another popular variation is Unblockable cancels. With ivy I like to perform CL :4::A::+::B::4::G:. This causes Ivy to start CL :4::A::+::B:, cancel it and immediately perform a back step. The benefit here is CL :4::A::+::B: will continue making the "Unblockable start up noise" and cause the screen to go dark while she glows briefly. This creates a lot of panic and results in a very awkward and quick backstep that's hard to predict. Experiment with other ways, there's many ways to psych an opponent out.

You also stop gaining soul gauge while you are lying on the floor.

Additionally GIs break in 17 and JIs in 6 iirc.

Shaking - The concept of shaking is simply mashing back and forth between directional inputs to escape certain stuns. Not all stuns are shakable, so consult the wiki to see which ones are (indicated by SHK). It is generally best to shake by doing :4::6::4::6::4: as fast as possible. This will limit you from accidentally jumping or crouching the instant you break free. The most famous move to use this on is Cervante's :A::+::B: combo. Shake immediately after this move lands and :2::A::+::B: will fail to connect before you can block.

Shaking in general usually takes 5 directional inputs, as you've hinted at, however not all SHKs take 5 inputs. Ivy SE A I believe takes 3 for example. Also you don't actually jump or duck coming out of an SHK by pressing other directions unless you hold G. You can sometimes activate a characters directional input only stance though.

Can you explain JF or Just Frame? At what frame exactly the character becomes shiny? I looked but couldn't find details about this.

Back